cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most of my .cr2 files from today's photoshoot are ~3.5 gigs... EACH

richardmg
Apprentice

The 1st few files are fine and the last few are fine, but the majority of my .cr2 Raw files are ~3.4 gigs instead of the normal ~15,000 kb, this makes zero sense as that makes the folder from todays shoot 450 gigs and it is currently on my 200 gig HD...  and the card in my camera is 15 gigs... The main issue is cr6, bridge, and camera raw are unable to recover them.  Keep getting a message about how they are the wrong type of file.    I had no problem reviewing the images on the camera today.  I am crazy frustrated as I deleted them off the camera when I brought them over to my HD.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

5 REPLIES 5

hsbn
Whiz
how do you transfer file from your camera to your HDD? Is there any chance those files are video? What is your camera model?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Browsed and cut/pasted (will always copy paste from now on -.-  They are definately stills.  I am using a t3

Why not use the usb port on the camera plug a cable into the usb port on the computer and transfer the pictures this way.

This would be easier as the software from the computer will transfer the pictures to the designated file you select.

Tim
Authority

Hello richardmg,

The RAW files created by the EOS Rebel T3 are approximately 16.7 megabytes in size.  The camera couldn't physically make the images as large as yours because that data is derived from the amount of pixels. 

It doesn't seem possible or likely, that over 450 gigabytes of data could be stored onto a drive that can only hold 200 gigabytes.  This is like saying you store 450 gallons of water in a container which physically can only hold 200 gallons.  The same principle applies to the memory card; one which is 15 gigabytes cannot gold 450 gigabytes.  Based on this, the math simply wouldn't add up to this storage issue.  

Perhaps this occurs when you process them in Adobe, I've seen situations where alterations to the file can create huge output files.  It depends on the settings you adjust and what you do to the picture.  If this is happening to you, I would highly suggest formatting the card, which will erase everything so back up what you want to keep, and taking ten test shots, in Program mode, ISO 200, RAW.  Then transfer with EOS Utility and check the files.  They should be much smaller than what you seem to have gotten before.   

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I had no problem reviewing the images on the camera today."

This really doesn't mean anything when viewing RAW files.  I agree with Tim, what you are seeing can't be.  Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements