Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Moon shots with rebel xti?

Hi, I was wondering how take moon pictures with my xti. I tried it and used a 55-250mm lense but my pictures still show up making the moon look so small. I've seen people's photos of a big detailed moon and I was wondering how to do that. Thank you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Moon shots with rebel xti?

Many moon shots are through a telescope.

Your lens at full zoom is equivalent to a 400mm lens field of view on a 35mm film camera or a full frame digital camera.

There is no substitute for length when photographing the moon.

If its just for "fun" its probably not worth the money, but if it is for a special purpose you could rent a ling lens, like a 600mm telephoto.

Then, with careful technique you could get something that you could then crop and print large.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Your lens at full zoom is equivalent to a 400mm lens field of view on a 35mm film camera or a full frame digital camera.

If its just for "fun" its probably not worth the money, but if it is for a special purpose you could rent a ling lens, like a 600mm telephoto.

Then, with careful technique you could get something that you could then crop and print large.

This was taken with a T6s and a Tamron 150-600mm lens at 600mm.  You're absolutely correct about anything less than 600mm being very limiting.
6243750752_IMG_4318.JPG

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@StanNH wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

This was taken with a T6s and a Tamron 150-600mm lens at 600mm.  You're absolutely correct about anything less than 600mm being very limiting.
6243750752_IMG_4318.JPG

... and aggressively cropped.

600mm on an APS-C camera wont show the moon filling nearly so much of the frame.

To fill the frame like this (without me doing the math) you'd probably need somewhere around 1200-1400mm.

The image below was shot using a 540mm aporchoarmtic refractor with a 2x teleconverter for a total focal length of 1080mm and it still doesn't fill the frame of an APS-C camera.

IMG_2918.jpg

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Highlighted
New Contributor

Awesome photos!! I saw on borrowlenses.com I can rent a telescope that has a canon mount. I want look into that. Thanks for the help guys!!