cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moon Ghost image

randyferron
Apprentice

HI ,

when I take a picture of the moon or bright object at night get a ghost or reflection of subject, Have cleaned lenses ,occurs with any lense. Have cleaned inside camera also . Is something out of alingment?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

SamanthaW

Hello!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know your camera model, and any lenses you are using.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help via Email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks! 

EOS REBEL XT all lenses are Canon

@randyferron wrote:

EOS REBEL XT all lenses are Canon

Are you using “digital” lenses, or older lenses released for film cameras?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The one I use is  Canon EFS 55-250mm image stabilizer.

regards

@randyferron wrote:

The one I use is  Canon EFS 55-250mm image stabilizer.

regards

That lens should be okay, like any EFS lens.  Do a reset to factory defaults on the camera.  Not sure if that model can take a double exposure, or not.  That could explain a “ghost” image.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You might try it with the IS off, especially if you are on a tripod.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Are you using a filter (such as a clear glass or a UV filter for protection) on your lens?  If so, please remove the filter and try the lens again.

Filters are the most common explanation for "ghosting" and reflections when photographing brightly lit objects (relative to anything else in the frame.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I am using a UV filter will try that ..thanks

EOS REBEL XT

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... bright object at night get a ghost or reflection of subject,..."

Not just remove but discard that filter. If it is screwing up your Moon shots, it is doing the same to all your shots. If you feel the need for a filter get a top quality one such as the B+W brand.  IMHO, the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens may not be a good candidate for a HQ filter.  That's up to you, though.  Also when you shoot the Moon turn off AF and do the focusing yourself.

Second, depending on what you want or are expecting, 250mm doesn't have enough FL for a Moon shot.  It will be prety small in the frame.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements