cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mode dial face

justpics
Contributor

Recently the face of the mode dial on my T6S fell off somewhere.The camera is out of warranty,I wonder what Canon will charge to replace it.

10 REPLIES 10

@justpics wrote:

Recently the face of the mode dial on my T6S fell off somewhere.The camera is out of warranty,I wonder what Canon will charge to replace it.

A lot. (Around $20 US, IIRC from previous complaints by people in your situation). It's hard to believe that Canon still has this problem, when a tiny bit more superglue would fix it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob ! There are a lot of things Canon could do better.Although I can get along without it ,I'm afraid dust or dirt can get in and cause problems.For what you pay for the camera ,things shouldn't just fall off.

The little metal cover with all the modes on it (Av, Tv, M, etc.) fell off of my 6D last summer.  Luckily I found it, and I glued it back on.  I was curious so I looked, and I was able to find replacement pieces in an online search.  If you don't feel like going through the hassle of sending your camera in and waiting (and paying) you could try to do it yourself.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I had never heard of this issue before the 6D ... and then started to find quite a few stories about the face plate falling off the dial.  I was ... surprised that after so many years of never hearing of such a problem, I started to encounter a story about the same issue from time to time... and always the 6D... no other model.

But more recently, as models have been revised, I'm starting to see it on other models.  It makes me think that Canon has changed the process, quantity or type of adhesive used on the dial.

I've had experience with some sealants and adhesives in the marine industry and discovered that some of them are intended to be "permanent" (as in... once it sets up, any attempt to remove it would be extremely difficult and likely damage the parts) and I've seen some which are "semi-permanent" (once it sets up it should never come apart under normal use, but if you need to pry the adhesive apart, it's designed to come apart with damaging the adhered surfaces).  And then I've seen adhesives where the wrong conditions (temperature, humidity, vibrations, etc.) will cause the adhesive to fail.

If I were to replace the mode dial, I'd probably go with a "semi-permanent" adhesive (not intended to release, but if you needed to get the dial off it would come apart without having to damage the parts in the process.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

When mine came off you could see it had been attached by only the tiniest 3 dots of glue. I used "goop" because it is flexible like the original glue you could still see on the disc. It handles heat/cold expansion. Has worked great.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Scotty,where did you find the replacement parts online  I have a T6S not a 6D .I looked on ebay but not much for the T6S ,guess it's too new.

I don't have a 6D or the T6s but some models of cameras require that you remove that dial cover to disassemble the camera. If that is true for these models permanently afixing it is not a good idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@justpics wrote:

Scotty,where did you find the replacement parts online  I have a T6S not a 6D .I looked on ebay but not much for the T6S ,guess it's too new.

Here's where I found the 6d dial plate thingy. 

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mode-Dial-Plate-Interface/dp/B00ONQ17KE?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

it seems to be out of stock as well as being for the wrong camera for you, but at least you can see what the thing is called so you can search for it by what seems to be the right name. 

Scott

Well I called Canon support to see if I could get a replacement for my mode dial  face.After almost 20 min on hold they connected me to parts and they informed me they don't sell that part ,I would have to buy the entire top plate of the camera ! I told them where they could go and hung up.I looked on Amazon and ebay ,found plenty for 6D and others but nothing for the T6S .Just too new I guess.

Announcements