cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror Lockup on Rebel SL3

SDNerd619
Contributor

This is the Rebel SL3 with a Canon ERS 18-55mm lens wth AF and Stabilizer On mounted on a tripod. Firmware Ver. 1.0.3.

With either of the following two modes, Av or Tv, using the rear screen menu on, the mirror can be heard going up and then a very long pause before shutting. I put the camera into Live View mode and the mirror acts properly.

An example of the Tv settings is 1/250, ISO 100, One-Shot AF, AF Point Selection is automatic. 
Av is F5.6, ISO 100, One-Shot AF, AF Point Selection is automatic.

Until this last shoot I have been able to keep the menu alive on the rear screen and shoot. Any suggestions as to why the mirror lockup occurs while Menu is viewed as opposed to Live View?

9 REPLIES 9

Angelita
Apprentice

To enable mirror lockup, press the camera's MENU button, then find the appropriate Custom Function option or correct Shoot menu. Select Enable. When mirror lockup is enabled, press the shutter button once to raise the mirror. Pause a moment or two and then press the shutter button again to fire the shutter.

Thanks for that info. I do not want to enable the Mirror Lockup for a short 1/250 shot. I'm asking why the SL3 does a Mirror Lockup while displaying the menu on the rear panel but does not do the Mirror Lockup, the correct action, in Live View. Before today I could do 1/250 shots in Live View or Menu in either Av or Tv modes. Does that explain it better?

@SDNerd619 wrote:

Thanks for that info. I do not want to enable the Mirror Lockup for a short 1/250 shot. I'm asking why the SL3 does a Mirror Lockup while displaying the menu on the rear panel but does not do the Mirror Lockup, the correct action, in Live View. Before today I could do 1/250 shots in Live View or Menu in either Av or Tv modes. Does that explain it better?

Did you follow Angelita's steps and verify that you haven't inadvertently configured mirror lockup?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@SDNerd619 wrote:

As soon as you press the LiveView button, the mirror is automatically locked in the UP position. That is the only way the image can be viewed on the LCD screen. It remains locked UP until you exit LiveView. 

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I put the camera into Live View mode and the mirror acts properly."

Different modes have different functions.  You need to reset your camera to default settings and start over.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried Angelita's as the first solution and even reset all settings to factory default. I'm still getting the mirror lockup while in Av, Tv or M modes for a shutter speed of 1/250 or less shots while the Menu is displayed on the LCD screen. I'm inclined to believe this may just be a default for the SL3. 

On the positive side, I'm able to change my shutter speeds while in Live View! 

"... even reset all settings to factory default."

This almost confirms a call to Canon!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Welcome to the forum.

Mirror lockup avoids blurry pictures due to camera shake.

When the mirror moves up it can cause a vibration in the camera. For very short or very long exposures it doesn't matter, but for exposures in the range of roughly 1/100 sec down to 1 sec the camera motion can affect the sharpness of the image.

Mirror lockup | Canon EOS camera feature (eos-magazine.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements