cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone bypass question

huntjohn
Apprentice

I have a Rebel EOS T6.  I want to record audio and video of a band at the same time, but would like to record out of their mixing board for high quality audio, instead of using the microphone.  The mixing board has a USB output.  Is this possible?  If so, how?  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is not possible with a T6 since it does not have an external microphone input.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Record the audio with your laptop (or other device) out of the mixing board and then combine them in the video editor after the event.

Even Canon camcorders like my XF-400 (and the Canon EOS Cinema series) which have a built in mixer and multiple balanaced and unbalanced audio inputs aren't designed to directly accept a digitized audio data stream but instead do the digitization in camera from one or more analog audio inputs.

A video editor makes it easy to overlay one or more audio tracks onto the video and I am sure there are some free ones that will do the trick for you.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Found this thread in my info search. Just bought a used eos 70d to use to record music videos of my band. We ran a cable from the mixing board into the camera and recorded a couple of songs. During playback of the videos on my Mac desktop computer, the audio sounded as thought there was a really slow phaser type effect on it.....a super slow "in" and "out" or "up" and "down" type of thing. Is my camera also really not suited to do this as mentioned to the Microphone bypass questioner, and we should just add separate audio recorded off the board to my video from the 70d after the event? Was hoping not to have to take that step. We were also hoping to use the camera to do Facebook Live streams, with our audio from our mixing board and the video coming from this camera. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The phasing issue sounds like a stereo/mono issue. You are greatly attenuating the signal, right?

thank you, esteemed contributor. I watched a tutorial video and set the camera settings to what the guy suggested for optimal recording. In those settings were the attenuating you mentioned. We just recorded another sample song using the Manual settings, this time nothing came out of the speakers. Went back and recorded a sample with the camera set back to Auto and once again, this "phaser" type effect occurred. the tutorial had me set the recording level really low, so I'm going back a third time with the recording level higher to see what we've got.

According to my manual for this camera, it automatically records in stereo. if the mixing board is sending in mono (I have to check that with my husband, it's his board), could that create this issue?

Yes, due to slight phasing differences between the channels.

Announcements