cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory cards question

PeteWill
Apprentice

Hi guys. 

I am looking to upgrade my memory card for my Canon 600D. I have been contemplating getting a 200GB micro SD XC card that comes with an SD adapter. Will these be functionable in the camera and work OK. 

Cheers in advance guys

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No. Do not use a microcard with an adapter. They have been found unreliable.

No worries. Thanks for the advice.

Super large SD cards are also a bad idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

kvbarkley and Ernie are giving you good advice.  Get an actual "SD" card ... not a "microSD" card with adapter.  There have been loads of "how come my camera isn't working right" posts here and the end result was the adapter wasn't really working.  Photographer gets the correct SD card (normal SD card size) and all is right again.

Also, a few smaller cards is better than one really big card.  You'll find that even in a 32GB card size, it takes a LOT of shooting to fill that card (and I shoot RAW ... so the files are big).  But just occasionally a card can fail.  It's a better idea to have a few cards so you have a spare card and may not all of you photos are on the failed card.

Another reason I believe in spares is due to my sometimes forgetful memory.  I insert the card into a card reader on the computer to unload it.  Then I *forget* to put the card back in the camera.  You don't want to be two hours from home, power up the camera and see "no card" displayed ... and not have a spare card in your camera bag.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

PeteWill
Apprentice
All sound advice from everyone. Thank you all. Not having storage size issues, I was just thinking of getting a large GB size one for, well, basically the hell of it but will look at a few smaller sized SD ones now. They’re not too badly priced either to be fair.

Once again, thank you all.

@PeteWill wrote:
All sound advice from everyone. Thank you all. Not having storage size issues, I was just thinking of getting a large GB size one for, well, basically the hell of it but will look at a few smaller sized SD ones now. They’re not too badly priced either to be fair.

Once again, thank you all.

Most large capacity SD cards probably would not work very well in the your camera, anyway.  

Make sure that you only buy a “UHS-1”, not “UHS-II”.  Most of the 128GB and larger cards are “UHS-II”, which is not completely compatible with your nearly all Canon DSLRs.

I like the Sandisk Extreme and Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 32/64 GB cards.  I use the 32 GB in my Rebel T5 and EOS M5.  I use 64 GB in more expensive cameras.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...basically the hell of it but will look at a few smaller sized SD ones now."

I know some folks, mostly Moms, that think the camera is where you store all your pictures, too. They never delete anything! But then again it is that iphone mentality. They try to make the camera work like their cell phones do.  Listening, yet, Canon?

EB

PeteWill
Apprentice
You’ve presumed I store all my photos on there like a mom (your words) and that’s why I want a larger card!!!!
No, I wanted a larger card in case I got caught out on holidays as I always download them as soon as I come home.

No presumption on my part at all. Just an observation. There isn't any good reason to have a huge card unless you intend on storing a huge amount of photos on it.  That's all nothing more. My suggestion of several smaller SD cards is to help protect you in the case a huge card failed. In reality SD card failures are pretty rare but in my case I can not take even that small chance.

EB
Announcements