cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory card for T4i

Novicemwt
Apprentice

I purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T4i camera.  What is the best memory card to use? I am a novice.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

At the very least, purchase Class 10 memory

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I always recommend buying at least 2 cards.  If your computer has an SD card slot (or you can get an SD card adapter) will read the images out of your camera much faster than connecting the camera via the USB cord.  

But... if you do this, there's always the potential that you'll get back to your home or office, remove the card from your camera, insert it into the computer, unload the images into the computer, and then start processing them.

The next time you grab your camera to go shooting, you'll get the dreaded "no card" error message and realize that's because the card is still in your computer back at your home or office.  Leave a 2nd card in your camera bag.  Some day you'll be very glad you did.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

At the very least, purchase Class 10 memory

Sandisk has many Class 10 cards from 8 to 64GB.  Lots cheaper than the memory cards that were in my XTI.  Many places to get them.  Class 10 is needed if you are going to shoot HD Video.

Keep shooting till it looks right!
T4i, 28-300 Tamron IS, 18-55 EF-S STM, 18-135 EF-S STM, Speedlight 580EX II 10-20 Sigma, Aftermarket BGA.

@Steviewonder1 wrote:

Sandisk has many Class 10 cards from 8 to 64GB.  Lots cheaper than the memory cards that were in my XTI.  Many places to get them.  Class 10 is needed if you are going to shoot HD Video.

Do they even make sub-Class 10 cards anymore?  Seems like the card manufactures have moved past Class 10, everything just prints the write speed now.

Technically HD video isn't what bogs down cards, burst shooting RAW files requires far more speed.  But unless you're a sports photographer with a fast burst rate camera you're not going to be running into problems with a full buffer.

I have seen Class 6 cards at Best Buy, really cheap.

Keep shooting till it looks right!
T4i, 28-300 Tamron IS, 18-55 EF-S STM, 18-135 EF-S STM, Speedlight 580EX II 10-20 Sigma, Aftermarket BGA.

Class 6 should be sufficient for HD video.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I always recommend buying at least 2 cards.  If your computer has an SD card slot (or you can get an SD card adapter) will read the images out of your camera much faster than connecting the camera via the USB cord.  

But... if you do this, there's always the potential that you'll get back to your home or office, remove the card from your camera, insert it into the computer, unload the images into the computer, and then start processing them.

The next time you grab your camera to go shooting, you'll get the dreaded "no card" error message and realize that's because the card is still in your computer back at your home or office.  Leave a 2nd card in your camera bag.  Some day you'll be very glad you did.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements