cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Card Door Micro Switch Not Working All The Time

prophsoft
Apprentice

Bought my Rebel T2i at Costco several years ago.   The micro switch that tells allow the camera to power up never did work very well in that you had to open and close it several times before the camera would power up.   It is now getting worse. I had to open and close it 43 times before the switch tripped and the camera turned on, just 10 minutes before my son's football game Friday night.    

Understand this is a common issue, so who can tell me how to fix it without sending my camera in for service.   I take picutures for my kid's school so I cannot give the camera up. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Mykolas
Authority

Hi prophsoft!

Welcome to the Canon Forum.

Based on your description, this is something that will need to be repaired by our Factory Service Center.  To start your repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Alternatively, you may participate in the Canon Loyalty Program.  The Canon Loyalty Program option allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

The Loyalty Program is great. I have gotten several cameras through it.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Found this in the internet:

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The first thing I would do is try to determine if the switch isn't working reliably, or if it's whatever is supposed to trigger the switch.  Try activating the switch manually, with a toothpick or blunt probe.  If it won't power on reliably then the switch itself is probably on it's way out.  At that point you have to either make a decision to send it in, or try to fix it yourself.  Obviously you risk having a completely non-functioning camera if you try to fix it yourself.  But I'm sure you can find some instructions on the internet for pulling off the body.  I'd trace back to the microswitch and just short the two wires so it's always closed.  But that's me, and I like taking things apart.

Mykolas
Authority

Hi prophsoft!

Welcome to the Canon Forum.

Based on your description, this is something that will need to be repaired by our Factory Service Center.  To start your repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Alternatively, you may participate in the Canon Loyalty Program.  The Canon Loyalty Program option allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The Loyalty Program is great. I have gotten several cameras through it.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements