cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Focus on T5i

gpal813a
Apprentice

I playing with manual focus on the T5i. I switch to MF on the lens. Do a ruff focus......hit the + on back of the camera. But what comes  up are all the AF points. I select one and hit the plus key again.....never get a manual focus box I am suppose to be able to move about to set the focus.

Now the firmware is 1.1.3 should I upgrade it? Will it fix my problem?

Thanks,

Gil

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I am not sure what your problem is.

In manual focus, if you get focus on one of the focus points it will light up. But you can't *choose* a particular focus point.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When you switch to manual focus, the camera wont focus the lens.

Manual focus is performed by rotating the focus ring on the lens barrel -- not via any buttons on the camera.  The buttons on the camera simply let you select which AF point or points you want to use when the camera performs focus (if the lens is in auto-focus mode) or for focus-confirmation (if the lens is in manual focus mode). 

For many lenses, it will offer a focus-confirmation ... meaning as you manuallly adjust focus while watching the viewfinder, you may get an AF point to light up or hear an audible chirp (the chirp can be disabled ... it's a menu setting).  

Canon lenses with "STM" in the name (STepper Motor) are "focus by wire" meaning there is no mechanical linkage from the focus ring on the lens barrel to the focus element inside.  You have to wake-up the focus motors on those lenses.  Typically a half-press of the shutter button wakes up the system and you can manually focus (although it's possible to configure this to activate via a button on the back of the camera.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim,

I understand everything you said, BUT, the camera's manual says.....you can magnify the area you want to focus on . The use the manual focus ring to get the focus sharp.

A focus box is suppose to pop up and you use the direction keys to move it up or down or left to right ......to move the focus where you want it.....such as a face.......you magnify it and focus.

I do not get the popup box. Hope this helps you. If this does not happen then it does not.

Gil

Gil,

It sounds like you're confusing Live View (the LCD view) vs using the viewfinder (eyepiece).

When you use Live View, it will allow you to confirm focus via the viewfinder, and use the magnify/Reduce button to zoom in/out digitally. This zooming will have no impact on your photo. You can then twist your focus ring to manually focus while you're zoomed in to ensure the area you want is as sharp as possible.

If you're looking through the viewfinder (eyepiece), which is the default mode for the camera, the Magnify button is your AF Point Selection button. 

See Below:
T5i AF Button.png

If you're wanting to use this feature, you'll want to enable Live View by pressing the button with the Camera/Red Dot icon next to the viewfinder. 

Stephen,

Thank you. This was very helpful. 

One point, the manual never says to use Live view it just infers it. LOL Page 170

Gil

@gpal813a wrote:

Stephen,

Thank you. This was very helpful. 

One point, the manual never says to use Live view it just infers it. LOL Page 170

Gil

Except for the fact that page 170 is located in chapter 5 "Shooting with the LCD Monitor (Live View Shooting)".

@gpal813a wrote:

Hi Tim,

I understand everything you said, BUT, the camera's manual says.....you can magnify the area you want to focus on . The use the manual focus ring to get the focus sharp.

A focus box is suppose to pop up and you use the direction keys to move it up or down or left to right ......to move the focus where you want it.....such as a face.......you magnify it and focus.

I do not get the popup box. Hope this helps you. If this does not happen then it does not.

Gil

The camera will only do that if you put it in "live view" mode.   You activate that using the button immediately to the right of the viewfinder.

When you push this button, you'll hear the reflex mirror swing up and the shutter opens ... and the camera will start displaying the image on the LCD screen.  From here you can use the magnifier buttons to help refine focus. 

I use this for astrophotography (find a bright star, go to 'liveview' mode, magify to the 10x level, and that helps me refine focus before I begin imaging) because the stars aren't bright enough for auto-focus.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim,

Thank you for that info

Gil

Announcements