cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magazine quality image

Johnsonanna02
Contributor
I have a canon SL1. I’ve taken some AMAZING photos on it! I’ve been asked to take photos that will be posted in a magazine but want to make sure that the quality of the SL1 is good enough. If so, what suggestions are there for the best quality? It will be in an Agricultural magazine so my subjects will be cattle.
16 REPLIES 16

I am sure if I was shooting a red rose at work and than at home I shot a red rose and tried to sell it, I might have received some attention.  Smiley Wink  A lot of the wedding business came from co-workers.  My main focus was events as the other photographers didn't care too much for that.  But I actually preferred it.  A lot more work but that's OK with me.

I think I only did five or six weddings last year.  I have one scheduled for 2018 so far.  Peak years could hit 50 which is about what iot takes to make it as a photographer.  Its a grind for sure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Johnsonanna02 wrote:
I have a canon SL1. I’ve taken some AMAZING photos on it! I’ve been asked to take photos that will be posted in a magazine but want to make sure that the quality of the SL1 is good enough. If so, what suggestions are there for the best quality? It will be in an Agricultural magazine so my subjects will be cattle.

One secret to sharp photos is to grab as much light as you can [wide aperture], as fast as you can [fast shuttter speed], with as little effort as possible [low ISO, preferably ISO 100].

Practice.  Use a high quality lens.  Practice.  Use the fastest shutter speed that is practical.  Practice.  Using a wide aperture lens allows more light to enter the camera, both during focusing, and when you take the photograph.

Shoot at ISO 100 as much as possible, but do not be too afraid to raise the ISO some.  Practice.  Find out what the ceiling is for the highest ISO that you consider “acceptable.  With an SL-1 i would expect that setting to be around ISO 400 or ISO 800.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Johnsonanna02
Contributor
Thank you! I will be sure to get a photo release hoofed.

Johnsonanna02
Contributor
Thank you all so so much!!

@Johnsonanna02 wrote:
Thank you all so so much!!

Our pleasure.  

BTW, if you do not use post processing software, like Canon’s Digital Photo Professional that came free with the camera, then i suggest that you begin using it.  Shoot photos as RAW, not JPEG, and clean them up in post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

This goes without saying, but if you do shoot JPEG, make sure that the camera is in "Large Fine" mode to get the most pixels and least compression.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a canon SL1."

It will be fine.  You don't need to shoot Raw format but I would just because it is so simple anymore.  You do need to post process and edit your shots anyway.  If they are like to ones I have experience with, they will want a specific size.  There may be other conditions they want, too.  Truth is most magazine photos are not real 'high' quality.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements