cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro shooting.... help!

MiracleB
Contributor

Spring has sprung and I very would like to get up nice and close to the spiders around my home. Closer than I have been able to with my current basic lenses anyway.

I don't have the funds for costly  new lenses so it has been suggested extension tubes and a ring light might work for now.

As usual, there are a hundred options out there for both.

Anyone use extensions and ring lights? Suggestions for my T5i?

Many many thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

A ring light would cost about as much as an EF-S 60, which is about $400.

You can also get a close-up lens for about $100, which are essentially reading glasses for your camera.

What lenses do you have? What is the magnification at the minimum focussing distance? I would try that first and crop.

This was taken with an EF-S 60:

IMG_3411.jpg

I have an EFS55-250   1.1m/3.6ft
and an EFS 18-135      0.39m/1.3ft which is my main go to lens.

Below are examples of what I usually take with it. Would like to go in tighter with the least amount of expense. Times are tight right now.

newsebelltests_watermarked-8.jpgspider1.jpg

"Would like to go in tighter with the least amount of expense."

How much closer?  You cheapest option may just be a good or better post editor.  If you are satisfied with what you are getting this may be the best route.  Your spiders are pretty sharp now.  As you can easily see the addition of a true macro like the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens does not guarantee sharper pictures.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Closeup filters can have an effect on image quality, but can offer greater magnification over tubes..  Extension tubes contain no optics and do not degrade imaqe quality, and they can be used with just about any lens in your kit.  Both take away your ability to focus the lens at infinity, but who cares about that when you're focusing on something a few inches away.

The following was shot using 6D, with EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM set at 35mm, and an EF 12 II extension tube. Ambient light was used, and, of course, a tripod.  This image is highly cropped.

The_Quarter.jpg

The normal MFD for the lens is just under 12 inches.  The tube reduced it in half, to about 6 inches, or so.  Because the entire coin could not be complately focused all at once, this shot is was created from a series of 6 shots, which were later stacked in Photoshop CS6. 

The_Quarter_Cropped.jpg

This was an experiment with what I thougt was a nice and shiny, smooth quarter in my pocket.  I discovered that the engraver's initials appear on Washington's collar bone, or is it shoulder, area.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Extension tubes contain no optics and do not degrade imaqe quality, ..."

Of course this is  a statement that can not be said with 100% certainty.

The tube has the effect of magnifying the center part of the image obtained by the lens to cover the entire sensor. Normally and designed just to cover the central portion of the sensor. Any optical defects in the original lens that involve the center of the image circle will be spread across the entire sensor.  It will be easier to see when the image is edited and/or viewed.

As always in photography, there is no free lunch.

The screw-on so-called close up lenses are generally offer poor IQ.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements