cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro photos?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

To start, I have used a Canon SX530 HD with +2 and +4 diopters to take photos of trout flies. The camera has the fixed lens that goes to 250mm. Now, my T7 came with a lens- 18-55mm, Image Stabilizer, Macro 0.25m/0.8 ft. I have tried everything to get a photo of a trout fly. Different settings on Macro (flower), manual settings, diopters, etc. I get nothing with any detail. I've read the T7 manual which is basic info. I read another photography book. Same thing, basic but didn't address my dilemma. The photo is an example of the SX530 HD with +2 and +4 diopters. But can't get the camera close to get a good shot but have to set the tripod way back. Fly is too small. As always, your help is appreciated. BTW,  similar photos were published.IMG_6310.JPG

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
28 REPLIES 28

A macro lens has the ability to focus 1:1 ( or greater) magnification, meaning that the size of the image in real life is the same size as it's reproduced on the sensor. The advertising department isn't aware of this and uses the term liberally. They also tend to round the FL number, sometimes very generously.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Tintype_18 

I would try a light box while you are waiting on funds. You can find the materials on the cheap but you might have some on hand, or you can improvise with what you do have. It would make a big difference in your product shots.

The video attached is old and claims a $10 build, but that is not realistic. Also, she uses LED lighting which may give you problems with flicker, but your camera should have a flicker setting, or at worse, you might get a few dark shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fnHEvLyAE

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Have a setup for photos. Attached is photo. The wife made some thin covers that soften the light more than shown. Bulbs are Curly Q bulbs. LED bulbs were waaay to bright.

IMG_6520.JPG

John

"...you need an image editor so that you can absolutely nail the pure..."

Again totally agree.  However, it doesn't matter a if true white BG is the goal or not. For the best work a good post editor is not a nice thing to have, it is mandatory. Some are ever free, BTW.

EB

"Macro Extensiton tubes are far better than those screw-on filters, ..."

I totally agree. Anything is better than those screw on filters. However, extension tubes ar not cheap. Not even off brands like Kenko.  It is still money that can be, could be, placed toward a real macro lens.

EB

Listen to Ernie regarding those add on adapters and extension tubes.  They are OK if you have a one time need for a specific setup and output quality is less critical but they are not a substitute for the proper device when it is an ongoing photographic process. 

As a retired marketing prof, I sometimes wonder about a study comparing photographers to those who are heavily into audio equipment.  The former often purchase accessories in an attempt to accomplish a task at low cost with clearly observable shortcomings in the final product while the latter often purchase incredibly expensive accessories that have neither a discernible nor measurable with lab grade equipment impact upon the output.  The classic example were those cryogenically treated, oxygen free, broken in prior to sale 6 foot replacement power cords that sold for over $7,000.  If the same fools exist in the photography world, then there is a market for a very expensive "rare crystal" lens filter that will filter out the electromagnetic radiation coming from distant galaxies leading to decreased contrast and loss of sharpness along with subtle color shifts that are not readily visible but still lead to a reduction in the emotional impact of the image.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Adapters? Are you referring to the diopters?  Would like to add some things as the 2X magnifier and the 66mm macro lens but I'm financially embarrasseed at this time.

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... 18-55mm, Image Stabilizer, Macro 0.25m/0.8 ft."

This name is more of a advertising department term than an ability of the lens. It is not a true "macro" lens. The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens is a true macro lens.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Been there my friend. That’s why it is so important to not waist what resources you have.
Use what you have and add a free post editor.
EB
Announcements