cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro photos?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

To start, I have used a Canon SX530 HD with +2 and +4 diopters to take photos of trout flies. The camera has the fixed lens that goes to 250mm. Now, my T7 came with a lens- 18-55mm, Image Stabilizer, Macro 0.25m/0.8 ft. I have tried everything to get a photo of a trout fly. Different settings on Macro (flower), manual settings, diopters, etc. I get nothing with any detail. I've read the T7 manual which is basic info. I read another photography book. Same thing, basic but didn't address my dilemma. The photo is an example of the SX530 HD with +2 and +4 diopters. But can't get the camera close to get a good shot but have to set the tripod way back. Fly is too small. As always, your help is appreciated. BTW,  similar photos were published.IMG_6310.JPG

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
28 REPLIES 28

@Tintype_18 wrote:

Filter set is about $30, 60mm lens is much more, accoeding to previous posts. If my wife and I were still working, I could buy a few more things. I'll use the wife's camera for closeup photos. Thanks.

Macro Extensiton tubes are far better than those screw-on filters, which only work with lenses that have a matching filter thread size.  Extension tubes can be used with any lens that can properly mount on the camera, AND they do not contain any optical components to degrade the image.

If you decide to try extension tubes, there two things to consider.  First and foremost, you want an extension tube that allows the lens to communicate with the camera.  There are some really inexpensive tubes out there, and that is why.  

The second thing to consider is a combination of things.  Extnsion tubes come in various sizes, and can be stacked to create even longer sizes.  Their sizes are conveniently measured in mm, just like a lens.  The rule of thumb says you want an extension tube with a length that is 25-40% the focal length of the lens that you are using.  

If you go shorter than that, then you may not see very much magnification.  If you go too long, then you get so much magnification that the focus plane may fall within the lens barrel itself.  This latter case usually mans that you will unable to focus on anything.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The screw in filters work with the wife's camera but not mine. It seems the one marked "macro" I have isn't a  true macro filter. Filters I was thinking of is the UV, CPL, etc. Should have made that clear.

Got two magazine articles out and waiting to hear if they accept them or print them off and hang them on the stall in the restrooms. Those sales will determine future purchases.

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

The screw in filters work with the wife's camera but not mine. It seems the one marked "macro" I have isn't a  true macro filter. Filters I was thinking of is the UV, CPL, etc. Should have made that clear.

Got two magazine articles out and waiting to hear if they accept them or print them off and hang them on the stall in the restrooms. Those sales will determine future purchases.

If you wish to product shots, then you need an image editor so that you can absolutely nail the pure white backgrounds.  That should be your primary goal at this point.  The only way to nail the pure white backgrounds is in post, not in the camera.

Wadizzle, not sure of what you are saying. White backgrounds? Could you expand on your post, please? Thanks.

John

He seems to be answering another thread.

@Tintype_18 wrote:

Wadizzle, not sure of what you are saying. White backgrounds? Could you expand on your post, please? Thanks.

Were you confussted by my reference to a "product shot"?  This is what I would call a product shot.

BA97F92E-7471-4B63-9BFB-9951F513EBA7.jpeg

What would you call it?

Wadizzle, was not familiar with your terminology. Still learning. BTW, that photo was taken with my wife's Canon SX530 HD with +2 and +4 diopters.

John

Using Canon close-up lenses (eos-magazine.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Great information. Thanks! Noticed that the lenses were fixed at a certain millimeter. I believe the 60mm lens was mentioned earlier in this discussion. My "small" lense is marked Macro but it's an EFS 18-55mm Image Stabilizer Macro 0.25/0.8ft. Thanks for the link. Got some ideas for articles which could open up the bank account for purchases of macro and telephoto lenses.

John

Marketing says that any lens that focuses relatively closely should be marked with a "macro", I don't think it is macro until it can provide at least a .5X (image on sensor is 1/2 lifesize). My 60mm EF-S macro can provide 1:1.

Announcements