cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro photos?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

To start, I have used a Canon SX530 HD with +2 and +4 diopters to take photos of trout flies. The camera has the fixed lens that goes to 250mm. Now, my T7 came with a lens- 18-55mm, Image Stabilizer, Macro 0.25m/0.8 ft. I have tried everything to get a photo of a trout fly. Different settings on Macro (flower), manual settings, diopters, etc. I get nothing with any detail. I've read the T7 manual which is basic info. I read another photography book. Same thing, basic but didn't address my dilemma. The photo is an example of the SX530 HD with +2 and +4 diopters. But can't get the camera close to get a good shot but have to set the tripod way back. Fly is too small. As always, your help is appreciated. BTW,  similar photos were published.IMG_6310.JPG

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
28 REPLIES 28

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You need the EF-S 60mm macro lens. Check out my snowflake pictures in the "share your images".

The 60mm macro is a great lens and one you should get if you will be doing a lot of macro/close-up shots.

But, you have the diopters from the SX camera. You could experiment by hand holding them in front of your 18-55mm lens, and if they seem to be giving you what you want you could get a step up ring to mount them on the lens; I thing your lens is a 58mm thread, so you would want a 58-67mm step up ring.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have 58mm diopters for the T7 but they don't help. To get a clear shot with any combination, I have to back off about 3 feet for clear focus but the fly is tiny. Will look into the 60mm lens but probably not in the budget right now. Thanks.

Edit- Canon has the 60mm for $469.99 which is waaaaay out of the budget right now. Need to sell more articles and photos! For right now, I'll use the 530 camera.

John

"Canon has the 60mm for $469.99 ..."

B&H, Adorama and others have it for $399. Used copies are in the $250 range if that helps.  Stop spending money on add-on filters and save for this lens.

A good post editor is also a great, say mandatory, idea, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

THe EF-S 60mm is $376 in the canon refurbished lens store.

However, in your case, since your flies are dead, the EF-S 35mm macro might work well. It includes a ring light, and is availbale for $280 in the refurb store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

@kvbarkley wrote:

THe EF-S 60mm is $376 in the canon refurbished lens store.

However, in your case, since your flies are dead, the EF-S 35mm macro might work well. It includes a ring light, and is availbale for $280 in the refurb store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

The one problem with that lens is the focal length.  You have to get super close to fill the frame, which is probably why they included the built-in ring light. Also, getting super close ot the subject means your DoF is super narrow, which almost requires that you perform image stacking.   

I think the EF-S 60mm is a better choice.  Of course the EF 100mm is even better if you are going to be doing a lot of macro work. I think the longer focal lengths may work out better for fishing flies.  No image stacking required.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks to all. Will keep those places in mind but those prices are not in the budget. I'll use the other camera for now. Only negative is doesn't shoot in RAW.

Add-on filters were a very small part of the overall expenditure.

John

"Add-on filters were a very small part of the overall expenditure."

Any spending that doesn't help accomplish the goal is a waste of money.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Filter set is about $30, 60mm lens is much more, accoeding to previous posts. If my wife and I were still working, I could buy a few more things. I'll use the wife's camera for closeup photos. Thanks.

John
Announcements