cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro photo exposure 700D

mike21
Enthusiast

When taking a photo of an insect on a plant I wish to set aperture at around f18 and shutter speed at around 1/250 to freeze subject movement. This means setting to manual where I would then want to set to auto ISO, but auto ISO is greyed out in manual. Using trial and error to get the right ISO likely means the insect has flown before the picture can be taken. What is the recommended procedure to take this kind of picture.

12 REPLIES 12

Thank you for both replies - the picture from the 100 mm 2.8L was very encouraging - I intend to buy the cheaper non-L version. The information in the other, long, post is very useful - I have copied it for future reference. I have a 270EX which I intend to use - does the auto-exposure information apply to that flashgun as well, and if not is there another way to use it in an auto mode, I would have the camera on Manual with auto ISO.

You can certainly can start with the flash in auto mode. The flash is pretty high. you may need to take it off the camera and use a Canon flash extension cord. The 270EX cannot be a wireless slave.

A wireless flash slave -like the 320 EX would give you a lot more flexibility.

Thanks. I have a canon flash extension cord and flash bar. Will experiment.

Announcements