cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro lens for the SL1

amatula
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have been using Canon Rebel SL1 with the standard 18-55 IS lens.

I think I have found my photograhly niche: close-up flower photography.  Doing close-ups has really helped me (newbie DSLR photographer) start to understand how to use light and the background effectively and powerfully to create an appealing photograph.

I get close using the standard lens using manual focus.  But I am thinking it might be nice to use a macro.

Looking at Canon's macro lens, they all seem so heavy. 😞

Can anyone recommend a macro lens (it is fine if it is not a Canon but compatible with the Canon) for the SL1, preferrably light weight with image stabilization?

I am also open to any other suggestions for growing in this area (I will continue to use the standard lens for this too).

Thank you and all the best!

Annie

PS: attached image is unmodified -- flower.jpg

39 REPLIES 39

The EF-S 60 mm is very petite, and will not overbalance a lens/tripod.

"Heres my NEW question:  Am I going to need a special mount for this also for the tripod? (like a lens ring mount) The lens is quite big and heavy.  I saw a thing that allows you to slide the camera as a unit forward and back w. a dial to focus with a reversed lense." 

I would forget about reversing a lens.  It only makes sense if that is the only use for the lens.  Forget about reversing an old existing lens you may have had laying around for the last 20-30 years.  The image quality will be a disappointment because a modern digital camera can, AND WILL, expose all of the flaws in most any old lens.  Look at the current crop of macro lenses by Canon, like the EF-S 60mm macro.

As far as needing a special mount for a tripod, that depends upon the head, not the tripod.  Cameras mount onto a tripod head, and heads mount onto tripods.  Cheap tripods have a head that cannot be removed.  The most common type of "universal" tripod mount, quick release plate, is called "Arca Swiss", which is a defacto standard, for lack of a better description.  If you install an Arca-Swiss compatible plate onto your camera, or lens, then you will be able to mount your rig onto gear made by a wide range of manufacturers. 

That thing you saw that allows you to move the camera on a set of rails is called focusing rails.  Someone posted a picture of a set of rails, just above.  A set of quality rails can be costly.  Focusing rails are typically used with software that allows you to perform what is known as "focus stacking", which probably will not run on your existing PC.  With your budget, forget that I even mentioned either focus stacking or focusing rails.  Sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

well Bob, you just saved me a whole wad of money.  I thank you for that.   I just saw that post with the picture of the "focusing rail" after I wrote that. I was excited because that was exactly what I was talking about.  It sounds to me like the 60mm is the way to go (around $360.)  

I thought if I COULD use those old lenses why not try, but I wll take your word for it, not worth it.  It would be just terrible to have to do everything manually, now that I have experienced the quality and luxury of a DSLR,lol  Far better in many ways.  Why go backwards....

In my situation, the 50mm and magnification filter set has been the route I chose for now.  I'm able to get very close, I'll be able to tell you more in the fall when my flowers bloom if it's close enough.   A bit disappointed in the Cannon 50mm/1.8stm.  It feels kinda cheap in the mechanism and noisy (to me) but only had it for a couple of days. I love the weight, very little. Great for hiking.  You be the judge when I get a pic worthy of puttinig up.

I want to do the layering you mentioned, and I think theres a way to do some on advanced v. of picMonkey.  But I fear you're correct about the processing part of all this.  Will have to get an "adult version" of a computer, dl the software from the camera and get into photoshop/lightroom   (some ppl swear by chrome, but I've yet to meet one of them that is a photographer that needs to do some processing)  I have so many cool ideas in my head, the how to is the puzzle.  And part of the fun!

T Y also for the info about the tripod mount.  I will look for one as my next purchase instead of a new tripod.  I wanted to get a quick release anyway, so I'll look for that one.

You all have been SO helpful.  I hope Annie got her questions answered too.  You ALL are great.  THANK YOU,  Liz

"It sounds to me like the 60mm is the way to go ..."

OK lets see if it is.  I say the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens is the way to go.

Why?  First it is a vastly better lens. That alone is reason enough but.  Second it allows an increased working distance from your subject.  If you are doing insects this can be critical. It does have a tripod mount available.  And if you ever decide to go with a more advanced full frame camera the 100 will go right along.  But the 60mm won't.  You will have to buy the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens anyway!

Now which sounds like "the way to go"?

Other choices:

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Canon

Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon

Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon

As listed would be my opinion.   Check them out before you buy anything.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Okay, now I'm going to have to do some homework.The 100mm looks pretty nice.  I haven't looked at the others yet.  I did take a pic today w/ the 50 mm, I am VERY disappointed.  AF doesn't seem to be sharp at all.  Heres a sample.

50mm 1.8  f 4.5 iso 100 1/100  Maybe if I turned up the shutter speed it would seem better focused.  I like the kit lens better, hate to say it.IMG_0196butterfly.jpg

@fatcat wrote:

Okay, now I'm going to have to do some homework.The 100mm looks pretty nice.  I haven't looked at the others yet.  I did take a pic today w/ the 50 mm, I am VERY disappointed.  AF doesn't seem to be sharp at all.  Heres a sample.

50mm 1.8  f 4.5 iso 100 1/100  Maybe if I turned up the shutter speed it would seem better focused.  I like the kit lens better, hate to say it.

Hi fatcat,
Hope you won't take offense at what I'm about to tell you.
Granted the 50mm f/1.8 STM is not exactly a macro lens but the example you showed pointed out perhaps the weakness in your technique.  Close up pictures of flowers and butterflies are not the easiest to master because of the shallower depth of field.  Unless you have the technique down, it doesn't really matter what lens you get, you will not be happy.  Here are a couple of pictures I took with the 50mm f/1.8 STM and as you can see, there is no problem with focusing for this lens...

f/2; 1/100020000354870_39558fd41c_b.jpg
f/2, 1/320

20000356110_5973c50daf_o.jpg

I use an EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro lens for macro...it's a whole lot better than the 50mm f/1.8 STM for macro, of course but focusing is just as "hard".  Here are a couple of examples:

12423620354_b432bea557_k.jpg

26876053121_a1ba953ea3_k.jpg

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

why not the sigma 35mm that you used? btw that one looks good too. What is the disadvantage of buying the "international version" of a lens?

"OK lets see if it is.  I say the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens is the way to go." 

The EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM is another good choice.  In fact, it is widely regarded as being a better macro lens than the EF-S 60mm macro lens.  Of course, the 100mm costs a bit more than the 60mm.  It is not too heavy for the SL-! body, either. And, the 100mm is an EF lens, not and EF-S lens, which means it can be used on any Canon DSLR, not just primarily Rebel series of cameras.  The EF-S 60mm was designed specifically for Rebel series, and APS-C sensor body, cameras.

Either the 60mm or 100mm lens would work well with the SL-1.  In fact, the "L" series macro lenses would work, too.  Just be aware that the "L" macros would work best with the SL-1 when mounted on a tripod.  There are tripod mounts available for the lenses.  A user would need to be cognizant of the potential for undue stress on the camera's lens mount if one of these heavier "L" macro lenses were used with the SL-1 in a handheld fashion.

----------------------------------------------------------

Tripods are almost always used for any serious macro photography work, even including hobbyists.

Most of the time when you use a tripod, the camera mounts onto the the tripod head, via a standard 1/4-20 threaded hole on the bottom of the camera.  Larger, heavier lenses mounted on the camera would present a severely off-balance load if the camera were mounted to a tripod with such a lens attached to it.  So, larger lenses have a "tripod foot" so that the lens can be mounted onto a tripod, and the camera is then attached to the lens, which presents a much more balanced load.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, Waddizzle (and everyone who has contributed!)

It's good to know that a lens can be used on other DSLRs (since it is possible at some point I may upgrade).

I appreciate all the help!

Annie

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It sounds to me like the 60mm is the way to go ..."

OK lets see if it is.  I say the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens is the way to go.

Why?  First it is a vastly better lens. That alone is reason enough but.  Second it allows an increased working distance from your subject.  If you are doing insects this can be critical. It does have a tripod mount available.  And if you ever decide to go with a more advanced full frame camera the 100 will go right along.  But the 60mm won't.  You will have to buy the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens anyway!

Now which sounds like "the way to go"?

Other choices:

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Canon

Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon

Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon

As listed would be my opinion.   Check them out before you buy anything.

The 60mm macro was one of the first lenses I bought for my wife after we went with DSLRs. She loves it and has gotten some great pictures with it (with three successive cameras) over the years

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements