cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC not recognizing EOS Rebel

stephiesphoto
Contributor

I have a new Mac desktop (OS X Yosemite v10.10.3) and it won't recognize my EOS Rebel XTi.  I went to the XTi page, which says that I don't need a driver.  Tried to download the EOS Utility, however, I this computer does not have a CD drive.  What can I download over the web to get my camera to work with my computer?

12 REPLIES 12

Thanks Tim.  I tried that but didn't have that option on my menu.

Spoke with Canon and it looks like the EOS Utility isn't yet ready for the OS 10.10 yet.  But there was a work around with by using the MAC Image Capture app.

Thanks so much for your help!

That's a bit confusing... there certainly are versons of EOS Utility compatible with Mac OS X 10.10.  (I use EOS Utility with my Mac and I'm running 10.10).

I wonder if they're saying that the latest EOS Utility versions are not compatible with your XTi camera.  That model was introduced back in 2008.  

Another alternative (and this is my favorite) is to use a card reader.  The XTi uses "CF" (Compact Flash) cards.  Newer Rebel bodies all use SD cards (and your Mac likely even has an SD card slot.)  

You can get a CF card reader for your Mac and then just insert the card directly into the reader to transfer/copy the images.  

I use one of these:  http://www.lexar.com/readers/lexar-professional-usb-30-dual-slot-reader?category=203

I probably bought mine from Amazon.  I see they have it listed for $38.  

Part of the reason that I prefer this approach is because it transfers the images much faster than the USB connection to the camera.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thanks for this tip! I have an older Canon Digital Rebel and a new Macbook Pro 2017 and couldn't get the images off my camera onto the laptop. I tried lots of suggestions but this one did the trick: change from Normal to PTP in the camera menu. Did that, then opened Photos, and my camera was immediately visible and the photos on the camera started appearing for import. Many thanks!

Announcements