cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some advice on a Canon camera?

MadanBhai
Apprentice

Hi, everyone. My girlfriend loves photography, she used to have a DSLr camera but had to sell it a few years back for some extra money. Shes not professional by any means, but loves to shoot nature, couple photos. Im wanting to get her a camera for her birthday. My budget is $1000 max, I know nothing about cameras and im wondering what is the best bang for your buck.

Best Buy currently has the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Kit on sale for $800 is this a good deal for this camera? does it perform well?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have had bad experiences with the Best Buy stores in my area.  Poor inventory control.  Order direct from Canon.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t7i-ef-s-18-55-is-stm-kit-refurbished 

The item will not remain in stock for very long at that price.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The item will not remain in stock for very long at that price."

The price is important but not the most important thing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Best Buy currently has the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Kit on sale for $800 ..."

Excellent choice for a woman especially if she is on the smallish size. If you like your local Best Buy, I like mine they are great, I say take her there and see if she likes the SL3.  That's the cool thing about buying local, you can touch and feel the camera before you lay down a grand. A big plus worth paying a bit more for. Spend the left over on a nice camera bag. That's all, at this point do not buy any additional gadgets besides perhaps additional SD card.  Wait until she gets the hang and or bug before you accessorize!

EB

@MadanBhai wrote:

Hi, everyone. My girlfriend loves photography, she used to have a DSLr camera but had to sell it a few years back for some extra money. Shes not professional by any means, but loves to shoot nature, couple photos. Im wanting to get her a camera for her birthday. My budget is $1000 max, I know nothing about cameras and im wondering what is the best bang for your buck.

Best Buy currently has the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Kit on sale for $800 is this a good deal for this camera? does it perform well?

Thanks

If you're a photographer too, be sure to get her a camera that's compatible with your own equipment, Even if it costs you a little more, you'll probably save money in the long run.

Shortly after I got married, my wife's old Sears-Roebuck film camera bit the dust, so I asked her what she wanted to replace it. Her immediate (and very sensible) answer: "One that can use your lenses."

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...I asked her what she wanted to replace it. Her immediate (and very sensible) answer: "One that can use your lenses." "

I have fallen for that trap.Smiley Very Happy  Only it was with the kids and grandkids not Miss Elizabeth.  It can be good and it can be not so good!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...I asked her what she wanted to replace it. Her immediate (and very sensible) answer: "One that can use your lenses." "

I have fallen for that trap.Smiley Very Happy  Only it was with the kids and grandkids not Miss Elizabeth.  It can be good and it can be not so good!

You're overlooking an important point here, Ernie. If one's wife becomes a serious photographer, she's unlikely to question expenditures one makes for new equipment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...she's unlikely to question expenditures one makes for new equipment."

Perhaps Robert, however, knowing Miss Elizabeth for over 53 years now I am going to doubt it. My strategy was always buy something that looked like something I already had. Not that I ever did such a thing! Smiley Wink

EB

I purchased my T6s with 3 lenses at BB years back.  Was fine.  

There was no doubt the camera (and lenses) were new, and never opened.

Now however, I only purchased directly from Canon or B&H. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"... I only purchased directly from Canon or B&H."

I love B&H and Adorama.  Good relationship with Henry at B&H and Helen at Adorama. Both top notch people and stores.

But buying local has its benefits and rewards too.  People go the the big NYC stores for one of two reasons. First price and second they have everything.  Local outlets can't compete in those two areas usually. Hopefully your local outlet offers service and hands on which is hard to put a price on but well worth something.

A lens, for instance, at my local camera shop or even BB may be $50 bucks more tha NYC but I get to feel it. I get it instantly, right now. Sometimes that is worth it to me.

EB
Announcements