cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an upgrade from a T5

sspencerj
Apprentice
Heyo! I got a canon t5 refurbished a few years ago and I’ve gotten to the point where it just is not performing to my standards. It produces a lot of noise when in low light which is hard for photographing concerts or sports. I use a 70-200mm 4:5.6 which is alright but I mainly use my 50mm 1.8 so spending a bunch of money on a 2.8 telephoto just doesn’t seem worth it for me in the future.
I’ve been looking at the 6Dmrkll but I’ve heard mixed things about it. I don’t have tons of money, so should I go for the 6Dmrkll or get something older like the 80D or wait and spend a little more on a 5DmrkIV which is really out there for me. Is the 5Dmrklll even worth it? Thank you to anyone who can help me!
7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@sspencerj wrote:
Heyo! I got a canon t5 refurbished a few years ago and I’ve gotten to the point where it just is not performing to my standards. It produces a lot of noise when in low light which is hard for photographing concerts or sports. I use a 70-200mm 4:5.6 which is alright but I mainly use my 50mm 1.8 so spending a bunch of money on a 2.8 telephoto just doesn’t seem worth it for me in the future.
I’ve been looking at the 6Dmrkll but I’ve heard mixed things about it. I don’t have tons of money, so should I go for the 6Dmrkll or get something older like the 80D or wait and spend a little more on a 5DmrkIV which is really out there for me. Is the 5Dmrklll even worth it? Thank you to anyone who can help me!

Buying better glass is the single thing that you can do to improve the quality of your images.  Your images will never be better than the lens that you use.  A budget camera with great glass will always outperform a great camera with budget glass.

IMG_2016_02_240215.jpg

The above photo was shot with a Rebel T5 and a Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cinema Lens.

The 6D2 is an excellent camera, particularly for sports.  It has the same AF system as the 80D, which is another great camera.  The 80D does not quite have the low light performance of the 6D2.  

6ED7B2EE-AC58-4C44-BC52-E29641D122FF.jpeg

Shot that yesterday evening, just before sunset on an overcast day.  No lights.  

6D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM + 1.4x III : 1/1000, f/4, ISO 8000, 320mm

The shot just below was taken with the same lens without a flash.  Those a video lights to the left.

EOS 6D2017_05_068836.jpg

If you want to shoot sports, the 7D2 is an excellent choice.  But the 7D2 is not reknowned for low light performance.  It was a professional grade sports camera on sunny days.  

2320540014832019_05_111002599.jpg

The 10 fps 7D2 with another great piece of glass, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at about 300mm.

Another good camera seems to be the just released 90D.  I am not familiar with how well it does in low light.  But, I would not expect it to outperform the 6D2.  All of these cameras have close to the same list prices.$1200.  

None of them will be as good as an investment in Canon L glass.  I would post more, but I think you get the idea.  Here is one last T5 photo with the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens.

The_Belly_of_the_Dragon.Small.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"A budget camera with great glass will always outperform a great camera with budget glass."

Although I generally and mostly agree with this, it isn't entirely true.  Because a substantially better camera is going to make substantially better photos. Regardless of the lens. Not many people would choose a 300D over a 90D just because they had a great lens.

"I use a 70-200mm 4:5.6 which is alright ..."

This I doubt is any more then just all right. Don't know what lens it is, however.  It would be one of the first places I would upgrade.

"...I mainly use my 50mm 1.8"

I am also assuming this is the Canon product?  If so, I agree, it is an OK lens.

Now for the logical upgrade choice for you, IMHO, of course, would be the new 90D along with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  Keep in mind there is always the used market if new is out of the question.  These lenses are tough and can be repaired if need be.  The 90D probably isn't going to be easy to find used just yet but the almost as good 80D is.

I see no reason and you didn't give one why you need a way more expensive FF at this point.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

sspencerj
Apprentice
Thank you so much for ur reply. The reason im looking to upgrade is because yes, getting better lenses with wider aperture capabilities will help me when it comes down to not getting good low light photos, but if I can also upgrade my body and get more features that I dont have on my current camera, such as wifi, duel card slots, microphone port, better dynamic range and iso capabilities, AF points and more, I feel like I could kill many birds with one stone.

@sspencerj wrote:
Thank you so much for ur reply. The reason im looking to upgrade is because yes, getting better lenses with wider aperture capabilities will help me when it comes down to not getting good low light photos, but if I can also upgrade my body and get more features that I dont have on my current camera, such as wifi, duel card slots, microphone port, better dynamic range and iso capabilities, AF points and more, I feel like I could kill many birds with one stone.

Canon does not make that camera, yet.  I think the next EOS R Series might have it.  But I think that camera is at least a year away.  Meanwhile, when it comes to a camera upgrade, a better AF system will be an improvement when it comes to action shooting.  But still, better glass is the best investment that you can make.

If you are set on a body, go for the 90D or the 6D Mark II.

" I can also upgrade my body and get more features that I dont have ..."

Go buy the 90D today if you can find one.  Remember the most current camera will be the more current camera longer than any other model. It's interesting to read what other people's path was but you need to make your own.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

sspencerj
Apprentice
Im aware that theres no body with all of those yet, but those are just features not in the T5. What glass would u recommend me getting to give me a step up of what i have currently?

@sspencerj wrote:
Im aware that theres no body with all of those yet, but those are just features not in the T5. What glass would u recommend me getting to give me a step up of what i have currently?

The 70-200mm lens you described in your initial post looks like a typo.  I am guessing that it is really 70-300mm.  Let us know what lens that actually is.

I really do not have specific advice on a new lens, simply because I do not know enough about what it is you want to do.  I can understand the burning itch to upgrade the T5, so I am going to suggest that you go ahead and do that.  Go for the 6D2.  The EOS RP is the logical upgrade path, but it is not quite ready for action photography, not yet.

I am also going to suggest that if you invest in lenses, that you need to decide now whether or not you want to invest in EF or EF-S mount lenses.  I made the decision to invest in EF lenses.  

Here is the upgrade path that I followed.  I used to shoot film, but it was to expensive to fully pursue.  I used to travel a lot, and discovered that I could do a better job with disposable cameras than I could with my 35mm film camera.  Fast forward three decades, and I am a grandfather.  I bought a T5.   

I initially thought that I was interested in landscape photography, anything but action photography.  I had initially invested in the super wide angle EF-S 10-22mm lens.  Although you do not really need a tripod for many landscape shots, I came to realize that even the slightest camera shake can seriously degrade a shot.

Only one  of the shots I posted was handheld.  Although I have many great shots that were handheld, far and away most of my best action shots are not handheld.  I initially invested in a GOOD tripod.  In time, I invested in a monopod, which mad a HUGE difference in my action photos.

I was taking lots of photos of sunrises and sunsets over the water, BIG water.  Using the tripod, I began taking photos at night. I began taking photos of flowers, which is when I discovered using a FAST SHUTTER SPEED.  I bought the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.  I discovered that digital cameras can focus better with wide aperture, f/2.8 or better, lenses.

Meanwhile, I had been using the tripod to take photos of the Moon with the kit 75-300mm lens.  I had some decent shots, too.  I wanted more focal length, but I also wanted a full frame body.  These wants were not exactly compatible with one another.

I went ahead and splurged for a 6D and the ubiquitous EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.  WOW!   Not only were my photos better, but I learned how to use the T5 better.  The only reason to not use the T5 was for the wider angle of view of the 6D.  Using the 24-105mm L lens on the T5 was incredible.

As much as liked the 6D, I kept using the T5 to hone my skills shooting from a tripod.  I could take photos on the T5 that were often just as good as those from the 6D.  Of course the 6D could do more under demanding shooting conditions, but the T5 was the equal performer at least 90% of the time.  The End.

I am going to suggest that you check out the Canon Online Refurbished Store for a 80D with a kit 18-55mm lens.  If you really want a full frame, then go for a 6D2.  If you want a lens invest in a f/2.8 constant aperture zoom.  I recommend the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS II USM.

Announcements