cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on which path to take.

dac2360
Apprentice

I have a canon t2i, and I am wanting to start shooting tethered. I also have an ipad but I am not too crazy about my options there. Here are the options that I can come up with. 1) Buy a new tablet or laptop and connect wired to it.or 2) Purchase a t7i body and connect wireless to my ipad. I would be grateful for any thoughts, pros or cons.

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The easiest method of wireless tethered shooting is through Bluetooth.  That is the feature you want in your camera for wireless remote shooting, aka tethered shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"1) Buy a new tablet or laptop and connect wired to it."

I have done this for a very long time. It works perfectly. If you get active USB cables you can have great distances too. I have done it from 150' away.

Wi-fi and bluetooth have all had issues when I tried them. Either connecting easily or dropping. They are are slow, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I have done this for a very long time. It works perfectly. If you get active USB cables you can have great distances too. I have done it from 150' away.

Wi-fi and bluetooth have all had issues when I tried them. Either connecting easily or dropping. They are are slow, too.

Bluetooth is a fairly recent addition to Canon cameras.  Which Canon camera with Bluetooth have you tried, Ernie?  

@ebiggs1 wrote:

How well does that work outdoors?  Does it work when you are hiking in the woods?

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

How well does that work outdoors?  Does it work when you are hiking in the woods?

I can't speak for the OP, but to me, and I think a majority of folks, tethering implies stationary shooting so the photographer and/or others can see the shot as taken.

This wouldn't be performed while hiking or any other activity where the photographer is moving any significant distance..

That is different than wireless transfer to a device for later activities like editing or sending to Instagram, Flicker and/or friends.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I can't speak for the OP, but to me, and I think a majority of folks, tethering implies stationary shooting so the photographer and/or others can see the shot as taken.

This wouldn't be performed while hiking or any other activity where the photographer is moving any significant distance..

That is different than wireless transfer to a device for later activities like editing or sending to Instagram, Flicker and/or friends.

Exactly!  Tethering implies seeing the shot as taken.  Of course, hiking is the extreme case, but it makes my point.  This type of functionality is useful outside of an indoor studio setting.  It would be a shame if it were [limited to indoor use only.]  

I use it a lot when I am shooting landscape shots during the night or day.  It is a valuable tool whenever you are shooting from a tripod.  It makes no sense to restrict its' use to only indoor shooting.  

It is a invaluable when shooting video, too!  I can control start/stop, and where the camera focuses by touching the screen on my iPad.

I have used it outdoors and it works as expected. Same as indoors and it doesn't drop and is fast. What kind of an idiot would tether while hiking? But if that is your thing go for it. Not mine!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I have used it outdoors and it works as expected. Same as indoors and it doesn't drop and is fast. What kind of an idiot would tether while hiking? But if that is your thing go for it. Not mine!

Name calling is not nice.

I have already given examples.  Controlling a tethered camera is much easier with a tablet or iPad than a laptop.  An iPad is far easier to carry in your bag than a laptop.  An iPad is smaller, lighter, and  has much longer battery life than a laptop.  

The Canon Connect app for mobile devices does not use a USB port.   You have two options: Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.  A Wi-Fi connection to a mobile device with phone service can drop out, and switch back to cellular Wi-Fi, if the camera connection goes idle for s short period of itme.

A Bluetooth connection doesn't disconnect behind your back.  I am still curious to know which Canon camera you used that had the Bluetooth connection become unreliable. Before the release of the 1Dx Mark III, the only Canon DSLRs with Bluetooth were a couple of Rebels and the 6D Mark II.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you have the iPad USB Camera Connection dongle I think you can achieve what you want with your existing gear. Search for a "testcams" video on YouTube. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements