cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on a Canon camera

sheraineyel
Apprentice

Hi all. My girlfriend loves photography, she had a DSLR camera but had to sell it a few years ago for a little more money. She is by no means professional, but loves to photograph nature, couple photos. I want to buy her a camera for her birthday. My budget is up to $ 1000, I don't know anything about cameras and I wonder what is the best value for money.

Best Buy currently has the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR camera with 18-55mm lens kit on sale for $ 800. Is this a good deal for this camera? does it work well? 

[link removed per forum guidelines]

10 REPLIES 10

Johnw1
Enthusiast

The Rebel line of Canon cameras is the most popular DSLR made. Any one of them will be a good buy. 

@Johnw1 wrote:

The Rebel line of Canon cameras is the most popular DSLR made. Any one of them will be a good buy. 

That is no longer true.  Now, the M Series of Canon cameras are the most widely sold cameras around the world.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"That is no longer true.  Now, the M Series ..."

Oh, I highly doubt that. No chance!  Not according to Amazon either, they claim the Rebel is still king. Just the fact there are so many Rebel models makes it unlikely the M series is selling better. I would even put the Nikon D3xxx series way above the Canon M series by far.  Matter of fact the Nikon Dxxx series might be the top selling camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"That is no longer true.  Now, the M Series ..."

Oh, I highly doubt that. No chance!  Not according to Amazon either, they claim the Rebel is still king. Just the fact there are so many Rebel models makes it unlikely the M series is selling better. I would even put the Nikon D3xxx series way above the Canon M series by far.  Matter of fact the Nikon Dxxx series might be the top selling camera.

There are more M Series models than Rebels.  

The M Series is the best selling interchangeable lens camera on the planet.  You can doubt the facts if you want to.  I could care less, but those are the facts.  Rebels may be the best selling DSLRs  for one vendor named Amazon, but the M Series of mirrorless cameras are currently the best selling series of consumer cameras on Planet Earth.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"You can doubt the facts if you want to."

I do doubt your facts as you don't seem to care about being wrong a lot.

"I could care less, but those are the facts"

Apparently not you had to respond. Not that it makes any difference but my circle of friends are all at least camera buffs and not one, nobody, has an M series. The Rebel is and remains king of cameras.

EB

The Rebel line is sold under different names/model numbers throughout the world so it is quite possible that a lot of what we consider the Rebel line in the U.S. isn't counted as such in other Canon markets.

The M series is intriguing but it strikes me as a hybrid offering between the small fixed lens Powershot line and the larger Rebel series which would be a perfect platform for some travel situations.  But the greater availability of glass and accessories for the Rebel series make it a much better choice for a general purpose camera system.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Ray-uk
Whiz

As you mention Tinychat then I presume she will be using this for video, although DSLRs can do limited video in short bursts they aren't really designed for this. You need to ask in a video forum for proper guidance.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR camera with 18-55mm lens kit on sale for $ 800."

This is an excellent choice. It is a smaller DSLR so if she is "smaller" it will fit her perfectly. But anybody can use it.  I don't know the current selling price but a Rebel T8i is a more full size camera if you think that would fit her better. Personally I prefer the larger camera but I am 6'3".

The nice thing about Best Buy is you can take her there and let her try and feel the cameras.

EB

ShortOldLady
Apprentice

Hi. I'm a 74 yr old techie lady who hasn't held an slr camera in 25 years. I bought a T8i Rebel last week. Other than the digital learning curve, I love it. There are tons of YouTube videos out there. Unless your friend wants to be a pro, it's probably the only camera she'll need. As the experts say, she'll love it more if she watches some videos and gets out of automatic mode, in my opinion. Whatever you get, I hope you find what you want.

Announcements