cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long exposure Time Lapse with Canon SL2(200D)

AlexisLem
Apprentice

Hi,

I want to make a Time Lapse with long exposure on my Canon SL2 and I know that it's work on others Canon DSLR, but I have not been able to get an exposure lower than 1/30 in the Time Lapse mode. So I would want to know if I'm doing something wrong or that's just how the camera is made.
If it's really impossible to get it lower than 1/30 due to a software restriction, I would want to know how to send a request feature to Canon.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Get an intervalometer and you won't be limited by the camera at all.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I would want to know how to send a request feature to Canon"

This is a public forum so Canon won't know you made such a request here. As of the SL2, I doubt any  feaure additions will be made especially since the SL3 is out.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@AlexisLem wrote:

Hi,

I want to make a Time Lapse with long exposure on my Canon SL2 and I know that it's work on others Canon DSLR, but I have not been able to get an exposure lower than 1/30 in the Time Lapse mode. So I would want to know if I'm doing something wrong or that's just how the camera is made.
If it's really impossible to get it lower than 1/30 due to a software restriction, I would want to know how to send a request feature to Canon.

Thanks

What shooting mode are you using on the shooting mode dial.  Your description sounds like Safety Shift is kicking in.  You probably want to use M mode for time lapse photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There is no "Safety Shift" on entry level cameras.

For clarification I'm using the built-in time lapse mode.

C57C42CE-CF58-4397-9E0C-ED5C37594F1A.jpeg

It could have something to do with the "ALL-I" format, but I can't get much info on it.

The following is total WAG:

It looks like the ALL-I exposes each frame as if it was just taking a regular movie, not as a series of individual frames. Because of this, the exposure time is limited to that allowed by a movie shot with the ALL-I, resolution and framerate parameters.

davidnholt
Apprentice

I am having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution or sent a request feature to Canon?

Just get an intervalometer and be done with it.

@davidnholt wrote:

I am having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution or sent a request feature to Canon?

Just what exactly is the problem?  A time-lapse movie grabs a frame of video at regular /intervals, which the user presets.

What end result are you looking to do?  There is a world difference between a time-lapse exposure and a long exposure.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements