cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live View Control with EOS Utility

Mike8
Enthusiast

I'm using my Canon T6s with a microscope and Canon EOS Utility.  When in Live Vew mode I take photos and movies of various microbes.  To achieve focus I use the microscope,  not the camera.  At the bottom of the Live View screen are three choices of magnification:  X1  X5  and  X10.  The default is  X1.  The problem i'm having is when I use X1,  the focus is perfect;  X5,  the focus is fuzzy;  X10,  the focus is even fuzzier.  As the magnification power goes up focus sharpness goes down.  This is not a microscope problem since I've upped the power using it alone,  and the images stay sharp.  Today I took three photos of a Desmid at X1, 5,  and 10,  to demonstrate the problem.  When I downloaded the photos the results were ALL X1!  So now I've got two problems:  1.  Focus  2.  Can't download photos taken with X5 and X10.   Attached are photos of the Desmid (X1) and a typical EOS Utility screen showing the magnification buttons.

Desmid

EOS Utility Screen Showing Magnification Buttons

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks to all who responded to these two problems.  Attached is an evaluation from Canon Support.  Looks like I'll have to rely on my microscope to resolve magnification issues rather than the T6s or its utility software.   Mike

Canon Support

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

@Mike8 wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree.  I have never had focusing problems with my microscope using its twin 10X oculars,  or in combination with my Celestron 2MP barrel camera and MacBookPro Photo Booth,  or with my T6s using Digicam Control and Widows10.  I've come to the conclusion that my magnification issues will have to be resolved with a higher power microscope to camera adapter and/or more powerful and longer working distance objectives.  Thanks for your input.  Mike

My point was simple. Your focusing issue is NOT the fault of the camera.  If you need a higher power microscope, then you have proven my point.  The problem is not the camera.

However, I do want to point out that you may want to consider using Canon's DPP 4 application for tethered shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the tip,  and enjoy your weekend.  Mike

@Mike8 wrote:

So you think the LCD would include my computer display,  and why does the focus deteriorate?  Thanks for responding.  Mike

As already noted, the magnified views are not digital zoom.  The camera will always capture images at the x1 setting.

The purpose of the magnified views is to assist you in manually achieving critical focus.  If you cannot achieve sharp focus with the magnified views, then the fault lies with the lens, which in this case means your microscope. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Already eliminated the microscope as a suspect,  but thanks anyway for your input.

Announcements