cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live View Control with EOS Utility

Mike8
Enthusiast

I'm using my Canon T6s with a microscope and Canon EOS Utility.  When in Live Vew mode I take photos and movies of various microbes.  To achieve focus I use the microscope,  not the camera.  At the bottom of the Live View screen are three choices of magnification:  X1  X5  and  X10.  The default is  X1.  The problem i'm having is when I use X1,  the focus is perfect;  X5,  the focus is fuzzy;  X10,  the focus is even fuzzier.  As the magnification power goes up focus sharpness goes down.  This is not a microscope problem since I've upped the power using it alone,  and the images stay sharp.  Today I took three photos of a Desmid at X1, 5,  and 10,  to demonstrate the problem.  When I downloaded the photos the results were ALL X1!  So now I've got two problems:  1.  Focus  2.  Can't download photos taken with X5 and X10.   Attached are photos of the Desmid (X1) and a typical EOS Utility screen showing the magnification buttons.

Desmid

EOS Utility Screen Showing Magnification Buttons

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks to all who responded to these two problems.  Attached is an evaluation from Canon Support.  Looks like I'll have to rely on my microscope to resolve magnification issues rather than the T6s or its utility software.   Mike

Canon Support

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

John_
Authority

I thought those magnifications, 1, 5 and 10X are only for the LCD display and they do not magnify the actual image like a camera with digital zoom can.

So you think the LCD would include my computer display,  and why does the focus deteriorate?  Thanks for responding.  Mike

You're welcome and yes, it includes remote displays. As far as the focus degeneration what type of setup and display are you using with the microscope? I am guessing it is a result of the setup and/or enlarging the pixels of your display as you increase the magnification. Others here will chime in with more knowledge in a while.

The whole point of the 5X and 10X is to allow you to focus properly. Readjust the focus to get those sharp.

If I can't take photos/videos in 5-10X,  then the focus problem is mute.  I'll have to rely on the microscope for increased magnification.  Thanks.

How to I go about adjusting camera focus with the Canon Utility using X1, 5, and 10?  Can't find any information about it in the manual.  

Thanks to all who responded to these two problems.  Attached is an evaluation from Canon Support.  Looks like I'll have to rely on my microscope to resolve magnification issues rather than the T6s or its utility software.   Mike

Canon Support

@Mike8 wrote:

"Already eliminated the microscope as a suspect,  but thanks anyway for your input."

Canon Support

I see you are on your way to resolving your questions.  I see Canon used almost the same language that I did to explain the magnified Live View settings.  Users who are accustomed to smart phones and other devices with optical zoom are often misled by the magnification setttings.  

BTW, the camera can only capture an image when you are manually focusing.  Any focusing issues that you are having reside solely with your manual focusing lens, which in this case DOES mean your microscope. The manual focus lens is solely responsible for any and all focusing, be it good or bad.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have to respectfully disagree.  I have never had focusing problems with my microscope using its twin 10X oculars,  or in combination with my Celestron 2MP barrel camera and MacBookPro Photo Booth,  or with my T6s using Digicam Control and Widows10.  I've come to the conclusion that my magnification issues will have to be resolved with a higher power microscope to camera adapter and/or more powerful and longer working distance objectives.  Thanks for your input.  Mike

Announcements