cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light spots on photos

Harry6
Contributor

Hello all, I have just started getting into this photography game (literally 3 weeks ago). I brought a 750D and popped out snapping away to just get used to it. When in

ooked back at some photos I noticed some light spots. All in different places and different sizes. I've tried to attach the photos. Any advice would be welcome as hoping it's me and not the camera. Thanks. 6174645776_IMG_0750.JPG6174645776_IMG_0748.JPG6174645776_IMG_0748.JPG

25 REPLIES 25

Thanks for the response Scott, I've looked into cleaning the sensor I think it may be something that I can do myself?? None of the photos have been cropped or altered, they are as they were taken. It's all a bit odd. I've had similar things on photos taken with an iPhone too. 

@Harry6 wrote:

Thanks for the response Scott, I've looked into cleaning the sensor I think it may be something that I can do myself?? None of the photos have been cropped or altered, they are as they were taken. It's all a bit odd. I've had similar things on photos taken with an iPhone too. 

Glad you asked.  Never touch anything inside of the camera body.  Use an air blower.  Leave physical cleaning to professionals.  It requires more tools than the average person will typically have.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm glad I asked too. Going to take it back in to get someone to have look at it. 👍

I am not sure what it is but I can tell you what it isn't.  A dirty sensor, yeah, your sensor may be dirty but that didn't cause the white spots.  It is not a flash either.   I also doubt it is a dirty lens.  And for sure it is not firefly's!

Since nothing showed up in the sky photos, no white spots, just keep using the camera for a while.  You may see a pattern that will allow you to find the answer.

IMHO, leave the sensor alone.  People over estimate the value of sensor cleaning as well as lens cleaning.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for that. It is a nightmare being clueless but I'm sure it'll get easier...... won't it 😉

Hi Harry6!

It will get easier! The more you practice, the more buttons you press, and the more questions you ask!

Here's another little favorite of mine - our EOS 101 series on YouTube - it's just a little primer to get you familiar with what your camera can do. The rest is up to you!

EOS 101 CLICK ME!

Sensor dirt is dark and remains in the same spot in each photo.

I'm thinking the light spots are on the front of the lens. My hunch is it is either water of a small speck of clear plastic that is gathering the light. Being on the front lens glass or filter would allow it to move as the focusing turns. It is possible that there is something inside the lens, but I doubt that.

When checking for dirt on your lens or sensor, shoot at a blank wall or even large white / light poster board. The monotone surface helps identity the dark dirt spots. When cleaning with air, hold the camera upside down so any dislodged dust falls out.

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

Sensor dirt is dark and remains in the same spot in each photo.

I'm thinking the light spots are on the front of the lens. My hunch is it is either water of a small speck of clear plastic that is gathering the light. Being on the front lens glass or filter would allow it to move as the focusing turns. It is possible that there is something inside the lens, but I doubt that.

When checking for dirt on your lens or sensor, shoot at a blank wall or even large white / light poster board. The monotone surface helps identity the dark dirt spots. When cleaning with air, hold the camera upside down so any dislodged dust falls out.

My first thought had been fireflies, but that really didn't seem likely.  My second thought was water droplets on the lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bugger! I hadn't seen that light spot in the third sky photo in the upper right corner. I got distracted by the dark spot in all three shots in the left center area.

Things are seldom as simple as they seem, are they?

Hi Harry6!

Welcome to the Canon USA Community!

One thing that I thought for sure someone would ask - what mode are you using on your top dial? Is your flash going off? Are you using an external flash? The reason I ask is because in the photos where we can see the "orbs," it looks, to me, like flash illuminated dust/particles in the environment. 

If you were shooting in A+/Green Box/Auto mode (or anything other than P/Tv/Av or M), your flash could have gone off to either help with focusing, or to help with low light (in the first set of photos). 

In the cloud photos, I do see what looks like a dust particle on the left 1/3 middle half of the frame. You can try to clean it yourself with a blower, but do not touch anything in your camera. 

Take a look at the following YouTube video from Canon USA on how to clean your sensor yourself HERE.

Announcements