cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Trouble?

singedfur
Contributor

Hello,

My Rebel XS (4 or 5 years old) will suddenly not take a picture in AF mode, though it will in MF mode.  The AF feature will *not* extend the lens out to focus, but it *will* pull it in to focus.  So, if I manually extend the focus ring portion of the lens all the way out, the camera will adjust the lens inward (on AF mode) just fine and take a picture.  But, it will not take another shot if it requires the lens extend back out again (until I manually extend it).  

It sounds to me like my lens is shot and I just need to replace it, but is there much chance it's the camera body somehow malfunctioning?  Could the electronics be messed up such that it will only allow the AF to pull the lens in to focus but not extend it out?  I do not have a spare lens to test another, so I'm wondering if this sounds like typical lens trouble or possibly camera body.  

Thank you,

Patricia

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sounds like it good be either.  Do you have a friend with a lens?  Is there a local camera shop that can test it?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

90% the lens is toast.  But do try a different lens to make sure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, both, for the help.  I'm suspicious of the lens, too.  My husband has access to a different lens at his work which we will arrange to try out.

Is is totally foolish to puchase a used lens (in supposedly "excellent" condition) off Amazon?  It knocks $100 off the price ($75 instead of $175), so I'm tempted.

Thanks again,

Patricia

I'd thought that is most likely the lens, too.  But, do mount another one, just to be sure.

As far buying a used lens goes, if it is not in my hands before I plunk down money for it.....forget about it.  It's a chance that many are willing to take, but not me.  The only "used" lenses that I'd consider buying would "refurbished lens" from the Canon online store. 

I've purchased refurbished lenses before, and the only difference seems to be the price and the box that it comes in.  They even come with a one-year warranty, just like one for list price, too.  You cannot beat it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh, I will definitely look into a Canon refurbished lens.  Good idea; I didn't think about that option.  That does sound a lot safer.

Patricia,

I think used lenses can be good buys but only under certain circumstances.  Any Canon "L" lens is a good candidate but since they are their prices remain pretty high.

Any third party lens is a big risk and I don't do it.  Unless you can thoroughly try it, ON YOUR CAMERA.  This is important.

Now for Canon ef-s lenses, they can be good and they can be bad.  Again you probably need to try it first but not necessarily on your camera.  If you have a return privilege, I'd say go for it.  KEH is a excellent source for used lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements