cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens (Camera??) Issue

KerrLess
Contributor

I recently bought a Rebel t6. The lense it came with works perfectly fine. I quickly decided I wanted a new lens and it just got here today. I'm a poor college student, so I headed to Ebay to find a nice, used one. I picked up a 55-250 lens and it arrived today. I knew that it would need a professonal cleaning, but didn't expect it to NOT work. I know I took a risk by buying used, but it was garenteed that it worked. I obviously can send it back but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to fix it!

The lens attaches nicely with no issue. I go to try and take a picture and it will not take one in either MF or AF. Sometimes the flash will pop open and then spazz a little and say busy. My other lens DOES work and takes pictures. I don't even know where to start in figuring it out. I've tried looking around on Google for ideas but I've got nothing. Let me know if you have any thoughts/need more information!!

Thanks!!

Kerr

17 REPLIES 17

The best advice you're getting is to send the lens back for a refund.  On eBay, all sales are guaranteed by them, so you should have no trouble with a return and refund from the seller.  You should be able to find a clean, used one for a very reasonable price or, as has also been suggested, just shop at Canon's refurbished online store and get a good deal on a lens with a factory warranty.

@StanNH wrote:

The best advice you're getting is to send the lens back for a refund.  On eBay, all sales are guaranteed by them, so you should have no trouble with a return and refund from the seller.  You should be able to find a clean, used one for a very reasonable price or, as has also been suggested, just shop at Canon's refurbished online store and get a good deal on a lens with a factory warranty.

Return it, and when you replace it look for the STM version of the lens it has much better image quality than the non-STM version(s).

I went to the local camera store for their thoughts. Seems like the lens was fully submurged in water according to both stores. Headed to the post office to throw it back in the mail. But! I did end up buying another lens and now my bank account really hates me. 

Thank you all for all the help!! I appreciate it tons!! I'm very glad to know of this forum for my future problems/questions!

@KerrLess wrote:

I went to the local camera store for their thoughts. Seems like the lens was fully submurged in water according to both stores. Headed to the post office to throw it back in the mail. But! I did end up buying another lens and now my bank account really hates me. 

Thank you all for all the help!! I appreciate it tons!! I'm very glad to know of this forum for my future problems/questions!

I wish newbies would ask us before, rather than after, they buy camera equipment on eBay. Please pass that along to others if you get a chance. You may be able to spare them from the same mistake. Almost all of us feel that way - especially those who have been burned themselves - but we're reluctant to speak out for fear of hurting someone's feelings.

Unquestionably there are bargains to be found on eBay. The problem is that there's no good way to tell them from the ripoffs. Used equipment should be bought from reputable vendors (there are a few) or from the Canon online store, which warranties refurbished equipment as though it were new.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try these first........

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

...and lastly try to ...

Return it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

The problem is these lenses are bottom line for Canon. Don't take that wrong; I also have one and generally they are good. HOWEVER, they are not environmentally sealed. If it is coated in dust, rest assured it will be dirty inside too. 

My advice is send it back. Don't waste your time on eBay as this is what you will get with used equipment.

Someone mentioned the Canon Refurbished Store. If you live in a larger city, look for a camera store. Most camera stores have used equipment for sale and the sales staff usually can answer your questions. You will pay more than on ebay, but I guarantee you won't be posting here to find out how to fix it.

Another reliable alternative would be a major internet store, such as B&H or Adorama. They sell used and refurbished and are very reputable. Amazon is another possibility as they do sometimes sell used equipment. 

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

Another reliable alternative would be a major internet store, such as B&H or Adorama. They sell used and refurbished and are very reputable. Amazon is another possibility as they do sometimes sell used equipment. 

More times than not, being used gear on Amazon is just as risky as eBay.  I have found KEH to be better than either vendor you cited, when it comes to used gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

I'm unfamiliar with KEH. Ill have to look them up.

Amazon will back their wares so if there is a problem there is little argument. I prefer brick and mortar myself.

One thing to keep in mind, used equipment is extremely variable in quality, where ever you buy. Better online stores tell you upfront their quality.

Announcements