cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landscape photo lens

2013SHIPMAN
Apprentice

ANy suggestions as to what is a good begininng lens forlandscape photography?

7 REPLIES 7

diverhank
Authority

I'd recommend the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM.  It's not exactly a beginning lens but the journey from beginning to expert may not take that long. 

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

amfoto1
Authority

It depends upon the camera it will be used upon...

If you will be using the lens a full frame camera (such as 5D series, 6D, 1DX), then an EF 17-40/4L would be a good choice.

But if you are using the lens on a crop sensor camera (Rebel/xxxD series, 60D, 70D, 7D), then a better choice would likely be the EF-S 10-22mm.

Both these assume you want a wider lens, which is often what's desirable for landscape photographer... But not always. There are times longer focal lengths can be used, too. However most people already have a standard zoom that covers moderate wide through short telephoto, perhaps bought in kit with their camera, so I assumed you meant a wider lens.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks for the info.

I do have a Sigma 10-20mm but for some reason whenever I use it I always get a dark area at the bottom of the photo whether I use the hood or not so I have laid it aside for some time now.

It's a fantastic lens for landscapes. I have used it for years without any problem. Can you post some sample photo where the sigma lens give you problem?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

"I do have a Sigma 10-20mm but for some reason whenever I use it I always get a dark area at the bottom of the photo whether I use the hood or not"

That's weird. The only reason I can think of that happening - besides something in front of the lens such as the lens hood incorrectly installed or a stray finger - would be a seriously decentered lens element or something loose inside the lens. If you were using the on-camera flash, the lens might be partially obstructing that, too.  

Is the lens still under warranty? Maybe you can get it repaired. I'd get in touch with Sigma.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"ANy suggestions as to what is a good begininng lens forlandscape photography?"

All landscape is not necessarily shot with a wide to ultra wide lens. By far the best buy is Canon's 24-105mm f4 L IS.

It is a great lens to start with as you build your inventory. You will find one lens will not do it all but this one is hard to beat when considering all you get with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you. This info totally helps!

Announcements