cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD screen has gone blank

RLaCount
Contributor

I received the Rebel t4i for Christmas. It's been working great until today. The lcd screen no longer shows any information. If I press any of the setting buttons (ISO, etc), nothing shows up. It worked fine this past weekend.

52 REPLIES 52

ScottyP
Authority
It is probably just turned off. press live view and see what happens, if anything.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you, but that's not it. It goes blank while I'm using the camera. I can't see my shot settings and it doesn't show the picture after I take it. I never had this problem with my Rebel xTi.

Rebekah

ScottyP
Authority

Will it work under any circumstances? 

Will it work (show moving pictures) in live view shooting movies? 

If you press "MENU" do  you see anything? 

If you hit the "PLAY" button can  you view photos you have taken?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Also try this:

1.) Press the "INFO" button on the back of the camera.  Upper Left, right next to the eye cup.  Press it repeatedly and it should cycle through the different modes. One of the modes is actually "LCD OFF", so that could be the culprit.

2.) Also make sure that the rubber "eyecup" padding has not slid up 1/4 inch and covered the "display off sensor" that turns the display off when you put your face up to the camera.  If that rubber eye pad (or dirt or makeup or your thumb or anything else) is covering the sensor, then the display would turn off thinking you have the camera up to your face.

Any help at all?
Scott

There is also a 'LCD auto off' on the menu. You can Enable the auto-off or disable.

Awesome suggestion about the sensor being blocked and making the lcd screen not function.  Some makeup had gotten on the sensor and after cleaning it then it was working again!  Thanks so much because I was taking it ot the shop tomorrow and you saved the day!  Thanks again!

Thank you, ScottyP!!! This issue happened to me over the summer, (and just fixed itself) and then again tonight. Didn't even know about the eyecup thing. Thought I was going to have to send it in for repair.

Good! It is always great when there is a painless solution to something that seemed like it was going to be a pain.
Scott

Hello. My screen is also blank when I cut it on. what did you do to fix yours?
Announcements