cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD displays menu, settings, etc. but not what appears in viewfinder

CAF
Apprentice

This camera is new to us and we are just getting familiarized with it. When we turn it on, we can see the settings in the LCD screen, the menu items, photos to be deleted ... we can see everything EXCEPT whatever the camera is pointed at. Lens cover is off, battery charged, everything works except the LCD when we are about to take a picture. Hopefully this is just something in the settings that we have to adjust. It is a Canon Rebel SL1 18MP DSLR Camera.

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You need to turn on live view. usually it is a button on the back that has what looks like a little camera on it.

cicopo
Elite

As mentioned above HOWEVER it's not a point & shoot & it's better technique to hold it against your face while using the viewfinder. That plus the correct grip of the body & lens makes it more steady when you take the photo. Holding it out in front of you adds camera shake effects to your photos.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the tips! I normally use my Leica SLR's, but was simply stumped on the LCD screen. 

@CAF wrote:

Thanks for the tips! I normally use my Leica SLR's, but was simply stumped on the LCD screen. 

As Cicopo implied, the LCD screen is mainly for tripod work, especially when you need to do very careful manual focusing. And for those occasions when you're in a crowd and have to hold the camera above your head in order to get the shot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements