cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD defeated by HDMI or mini USB

sharpt
Contributor

The LCD on my Canon T5i goes black when HDMI or mini USB is plugged in. Thoughts?

14 REPLIES 14

Tell me more

You have to use the wiredly shaped AVout cable that connects to the USB port.

The one for my T6S - which is prbably the same is the AVC-DC400ST

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/stereo-av-cable-avc-dc400-st?searchTerm=avc-dc400ST

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Not much to tell. If you are using official Canon cables and connecting them properly you either need to 1. Verify TV settings, 2. Turn up TV volume, 3. Or call Canon for assistance. Mine works fine when I connect to TV.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

sharpt
Contributor

Just talked with Canon.  Keeping the LCD on while attached to the HDMI is called screen mirroring.  This feature is permitted only on the higher-priced cameras 😞

Also, headphone monitoring is not available except on the higher-priced cameras and camcorders because you can't sell more expensive cameras if you offer even pretty basic features like these on the T5i/Rebel series.

Magic Lantern doesn't solve this problem either as no audio menu appears on the build for the T5i. 

So - boo Canon for dumbing down the T5i but I'm ok with ML for uncovering what features it can.  Please add the audio menu to the T5i (particularly the headphone monitoring option) in the next build.

"Keeping the LCD on while attached to the HDMI is called screen mirroring. ....   Also, headphone monitoring is not available except on the higher-priced cameras and camcorders because you can't sell more expensive cameras if you offer even pretty basic features like these on the T5i/Rebel series." 

Adding those features probably requires doubling up, and duplicating the HDMI signal circuitry, which would significantly raise the cost to build it.  Ditto, for the audio.  Not everyone will be using the cameras in that fashion. 

If you want the more advanced feature, then you have to pay for it. The Rebel series of cameras are entry level performers.  They are mostly targeted at people who are upgrading from a camera phone, or a point and shoot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements