cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just had a photo shoot with my new Canon t6i... My lightroom 4 will not read my RAW images ..why !!

ericwoody
Apprentice

Tried several different downloads .... cannot edit anything at all and will not even allow me to open any files... #veryfrustrated

5 REPLIES 5

Peter
Authority
Authority

I use open source software, but does Lightroom 4 works with new cameras? Adobe always wants customers to upgrade to latest version, so if Lightroom 4 isn´t the latest you have the answer there.

Canon's photo editor, Digital Photo Professional, has (or at least used to have) a way to hand off an edited image to Photoshop. If it does it by converting the image to TIFF or ACR, maybe Lightroom could accept it as well. Since LR wouldn't be seeing the CR2 file, its inability to grok the T6i-specific version shouldn't be an issue.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ericwoody wrote:

Tried several different downloads .... cannot edit anything at all and will not even allow me to open any files... #veryfrustrated

Lightroom 4 wont read your RAW files because Adobe want you to upgrade to the latest version of Lightroom.

You basically have 3 options:

1 - upgrade Lightroom

2 - use Adobe DNG converter to convert you RAWs to DNGs then load those into Lightroom

3 - use Canon Digital Photo Professional for your RAW conversion, you can the output directly to JPG or to 16 bit TIFF for further editing in Lightroom.

Of these choices I would suggest you at least try using DPP 4. Canon has significantly updated the program. Clean shadow lifting can now be accomplished by changing the mid-point  on the histogram. And you can use Canon's outstanding Digital Lens Optimizer.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Eric,

You need to find out which version of LR supports ACR 9 (free).   I do not know if LR 4 does but if it does that is all you need.  You may have to buy LR 5 or LR 6 to be able to use T6i RAW files in LR (and ACR 9).

If it is in your budget and plans, get LR 6.  It is a significant upgrade over 4.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

LR4 does not support T6i files. I looked it up earlier and not even LR 5 does. You need LR6.

It is a good upgrade though. I went from lr4 to lr5 and it was worth it.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements