cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought an older Canon digital Rebel (DS6041) and can not download photos to my laptop (Win 10).

IanMac37
Apprentice

I just bought a used Canon Digital Rebel, DS6041, and while it works very well I cannot see the camera when I use the USB connector to my Windows 10 laptop.  There seems no way to download the pictures to the computer.  Where can I buy a device that I can plug in the CF card and plug the adapter into the SD Card slot on my computer?  Or is there a work-around that would make a direct connection work like all the other digital cameras I have ever used?  I have never had a problem getting the computer to recognize any other camers, including Fujifilm, Olympus, Canon, or others.  Why just this one model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Card readers solve many issues as newer software leaves out the needed drivers for our old cameras. Everyone should have a card reader on hand because they allow transfers to / from just about any computer with a USB port.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That's a pretty old model.  I am uncertain as to whether or not the software that was released for it will work properly on the current versions of the Windows and MAC OS.  I doubt it. 

Because of security changes, software applications have been dramatically changed in how they load and interact with the operating systems.  Windows 10 represents the first Windows OS that no longer supports the older protocols from over a decade ago, Windows 95/98/NT.

EOS Digital Rebel 300D Software and Manuals   

I hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I searched my old stiff bin and found an old card reader that has a CF slot, among other slots, and hooked it up to a 3.0 USB port.  I inserted the CF card and I could read and download the pictures.  I bought this camera just because of the price and because it came with two lenses (18mm to 55mm and a 75-300 mm)  The Fujifilm camera I also use has a larger pixel capability but no view device and does not make it easy to capture fast moving subjects, such as aircraft or birds.

Old stuff works pretty good for old guys like me.  The first computers I worked on were make with vacuum tubes and the first 35mm camera was a half-frame model.  Thanks for the response.

Card readers solve many issues as newer software leaves out the needed drivers for our old cameras. Everyone should have a card reader on hand because they allow transfers to / from just about any computer with a USB port.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Did you try setting camera as shown below (communicate via PTP):

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I had already set it to PTP, but it simply does not show up on file manager (or whatever new name Microsoft currently uses).  If I cannot see it as a device I cannot open or copy the pictures.  The card reader works just fine.  Thanks for the info though.

"... capture fast moving subjects, such as aircraft or birds."

If this is your stated goal a newer camera will serve you better.  Your camera is esentially a 10D.  Pretty dated by now and limited to 6MP and slow AF.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements