Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
VIP
Posts: 8,643
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

[ Edited ]

@PajamaGuy wrote:

Well....I have a T6s and the EOS manual says the T6's will NOT connect via WiFi (bummer).  So I fired a note to Canon.  Their reply:

 

The EOS Rebel T6s Wi-Fi feature currently allows wireless connection to another Camera, Smartphone, Printer, Media Player, or Web service.  While a feature to connect to a computer wirelessly with the EOS Rebel T6s is unavailable, you can still use the USB cable for downloading images and remote shooting using the EOS Utility software.

 

It DOES connect via USB, BUT you must disable the camera's WiFi first.

 

Since the WiFi does connect to smartphone via WiFi, I'm betting a software and/or firmware update fill fix the issue.

 

 

 


Safe money says to bet that you're wrong.  In order for a device to connect wirelessly to another device, one of the devices must play the role of "wireless access point".  Your wireless router on a home LAN fulfills this role. 

 

Canon cameras and printers can connect through proprietary protocols, for which they even have a name for it.  Some smart phones [BUT NOT ALL] can connect to your camera, too.  A lot of cameras cannot  do it.  Ask yourself why not.  Every device in Canon's reply can serve as a wireless access point.  Most laptops and PCs with wireless capabilities do not serve as a wireless access point, mainly because they are designed to connect to one, not behave as one.

 

So, in order for a device to function as a wireless access point, then it requires the proper hardware being built into the package, which consumes SPACE, which is very limited inside of a tight camera body.  In other words, safe money says to bet against a software update being able to add on to the hardware inside of your camera body.

 

Just because a device says wireless, that does not mean that it is networkable.  Canon has used wireless flash units for years, which "connected" via infrared light, transmitted via line of sight.  ...  wireless and not networkable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-28-2015

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

I have just purchase the 750d and two len's and the flash to find you cannot connect to a computer via wireless, had I known I would have not purchased the kit. Evertything is wireless today - where has canon been during this period -they need to update the firmware.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 102
Registered: ‎06-10-2015

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

I usually use the camera's ability to create it's own WiFi hotspot when connecting to my tablet or phone.  This method is a direct WiFi connection to the camera and shows up in my WiFi SSID on my tablet or phone.  I just tried to connect to my computer and my computer does see my camera's WiFi SSID.  Here is the problem that could be easily corrected by Canon.  There is no dedicated app such as Canon Connect to complete the process.  All Canon needs to do is create a PC and Mac app to complete this connection.  Come on Canon just do it.

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎07-15-2015

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

Canon has abandoned this thread, just as they have abandoned the camera. There have been no firmware updates since it's release. So in their eyes, it must be perfect!

I've been a Canon loyalist for decades, but this leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,082
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!


@Waddizzle wrote:

@PajamaGuy wrote:

Well....I have a T6s and the EOS manual says the T6's will NOT connect via WiFi (bummer).  So I fired a note to Canon.  Their reply:

 

The EOS Rebel T6s Wi-Fi feature currently allows wireless connection to another Camera, Smartphone, Printer, Media Player, or Web service.  While a feature to connect to a computer wirelessly with the EOS Rebel T6s is unavailable, you can still use the USB cable for downloading images and remote shooting using the EOS Utility software.

 

It DOES connect via USB, BUT you must disable the camera's WiFi first.

 

Since the WiFi does connect to smartphone via WiFi, I'm betting a software and/or firmware update fill fix the issue.

 

 

 


Safe money says to bet that you're wrong.  In order for a device to connect wirelessly to another device, one of the devices must play the role of "wireless access point".  Your wireless router on a home LAN fulfills this role. 

 

Canon cameras and printers can connect through proprietary protocols, for which they even have a name for it.  Some smart phones [BUT NOT ALL] can connect to your camera, too.  A lot of cameras cannot  do it.  Ask yourself why not.  Every device in Canon's reply can serve as a wireless access point.  Most laptops and PCs with wireless capabilities do not serve as a wireless access point, mainly because they are designed to connect to one, not behave as one.

 

So, in order for a device to function as a wireless access point, then it requires the proper hardware being built into the package, which consumes SPACE, which is very limited inside of a tight camera body.  In other words, safe money says to bet against a software update being able to add on to the hardware inside of your camera body.

 

Just because a device says wireless, that does not mean that it is networkable.  Canon has used wireless flash units for years, which "connected" via infrared light, transmitted via line of sight.  ...  wireless and not networkable.


Either the camera or the device to which it talks (computer, phone, printer, ...) could be the access point, and an access point doesn't require any hardware that a wireless client doesn't have. Access points often function as switches or routers, but that's not a requirement; and it's the switching and routing functionality that requires the extra hardware. Everything else can be done in software or firmware. (It usually isn't, but that's an implementation choice.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎07-15-2015

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

Oh, and they have a wonderful Windows app for this camera. Digital Photo Professiona (and EOS Utility). They have just disabled the ability to access it through WiFi. You have to use a USB cable.

Instead, you have the totally useless ability to tranfer photos to another Canon camera. HUH? WHY?

New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

[ Edited ]

I'm pretty sure I understand why the camera won't connect to a PC via WiFi the way that we all want.  You'll probably never get Canon to acknowledge the reason, but it's all about the $$$.  The reason is its support of the eyefi memory cards.  They've entered into an agreement with eyefi to support it, and that agreement likely states that Canon can not develop software that acheives the same functionality as the eyefi cards.  This forces those of us who want this functionality to invest in the eyefi platform.  Case closed, I'm afraid. Smiley Sad

New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-26-2016

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

This is ridiculous... Nowhere did it read that this functionality wouldn't exist! I vaguely undersand this, if it would be clear, that to get this functionality I would need to buy a 70D. But 750D did fit my needs better and I couldn't have even imagined that canon would do something like just disabling a function! How does it help anyone?! And the whole marketing aspect behind "WiFi"... And if this is a matter of money...can we even pay to activate this function? Why not?

 

Sick strategy...whoever came up with this is sick.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,082
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!


@Kaldun wrote:

This is ridiculous... Nowhere did it read that this functionality wouldn't exist! I vaguely undersand this, if it would be clear, that to get this functionality I would need to buy a 70D. But 750D did fit my needs better and I couldn't have even imagined that canon would do something like just disabling a function! How does it help anyone?! And the whole marketing aspect behind "WiFi"... And if this is a matter of money...can we even pay to activate this function? Why not?

 

Sick strategy...whoever came up with this is sick.


You guys are jumping to some silly conclusions. (The one about the Eye-Fi card is particularly absurd, IMO.) It's a good bet that you don't understand wi-fi nearly as well as you think you do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

[ Edited ]

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Kaldun wrote:

This is ridiculous... Nowhere did it read that this functionality wouldn't exist! I vaguely undersand this, if it would be clear, that to get this functionality I would need to buy a 70D. But 750D did fit my needs better and I couldn't have even imagined that canon would do something like just disabling a function! How does it help anyone?! And the whole marketing aspect behind "WiFi"... And if this is a matter of money...can we even pay to activate this function? Why not?

 

Sick strategy...whoever came up with this is sick.


You guys are jumping to some silly conclusions. (The one about the Eye-Fi card is particularly absurd, IMO.) It's a good bet that you don't understand wi-fi nearly as well as you think you do.


Not as far fetched as you think.  I'm an IT Sys Admin and have been in the industry for 15+ years.  I think I understand WiFi and it's capabilities pretty well.  Someone else earlier in the thread nailed it on the head when they said it felt like the ability to transfer to a PC via WiFi had been crippled.  I agree.  Look at what this camera IS capabale of with WiFi.  It can connect to an existing 802.11 SSID, and obtain an IP address from DHCP.  It can upload photos and videos directly to CIG, Facebook, Twitter, eMail, YouTube.  These are the things that take work and effort to achieve.  It can connect to your phone via the same WiFi SSID that your phone does (you don't have to create a custom ad-hoc SSID to achieve this), and trasnfer photos back and forth.  You can connect to another camera the same way and transfer photos back and forth.  Again, this stuff takes effort.  The abililty to transfer photos to a PC on the same network, or even a UNC share on the network is easy compared to transfering photos to the internet.  In fact, one could argue that transfering to an UNC is a pre-req to transfering to HTTP.  And yet, trasnfer to PC/UNC is mysteriously absent from this camera.  Yeah, it was intentionally left out for one reason or another.  An Eye-Fi agreement is my best (and only) theory I can come up with why transfer to PC over WiFi would be intentially left off.  The camera is capable.  The tech is there.  But my bet is you will never see it enabled via FW update, unless the suspected Eye-Fi agreement expires.

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement