cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

Fotoace
Apprentice
T6i
41 REPLIES 41

Agreed. Purchased this camera because I wanted the convenience of Wifi to PC. 

Insane that this is not supported.

theandies
Enthusiast

I usually use the camera's ability to create it's own WiFi hotspot when connecting to my tablet or phone.  This method is a direct WiFi connection to the camera and shows up in my WiFi SSID on my tablet or phone.  I just tried to connect to my computer and my computer does see my camera's WiFi SSID.  Here is the problem that could be easily corrected by Canon.  There is no dedicated app such as Canon Connect to complete the process.  All Canon needs to do is create a PC and Mac app to complete this connection.  Come on Canon just do it.

Canon has abandoned this thread, just as they have abandoned the camera. There have been no firmware updates since it's release. So in their eyes, it must be perfect!

I've been a Canon loyalist for decades, but this leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Oh, and they have a wonderful Windows app for this camera. Digital Photo Professiona (and EOS Utility). They have just disabled the ability to access it through WiFi. You have to use a USB cable.

Instead, you have the totally useless ability to tranfer photos to another Canon camera. HUH? WHY?

I'm pretty sure I understand why the camera won't connect to a PC via WiFi the way that we all want.  You'll probably never get Canon to acknowledge the reason, but it's all about the $$$.  The reason is its support of the eyefi memory cards.  They've entered into an agreement with eyefi to support it, and that agreement likely states that Canon can not develop software that acheives the same functionality as the eyefi cards.  This forces those of us who want this functionality to invest in the eyefi platform.  Case closed, I'm afraid. Smiley Sad

Kaldun
Apprentice

This is ridiculous... Nowhere did it read that this functionality wouldn't exist! I vaguely undersand this, if it would be clear, that to get this functionality I would need to buy a 70D. But 750D did fit my needs better and I couldn't have even imagined that canon would do something like just disabling a function! How does it help anyone?! And the whole marketing aspect behind "WiFi"... And if this is a matter of money...can we even pay to activate this function? Why not?

Sick strategy...whoever came up with this is sick.

@Kaldun wrote:

This is ridiculous... Nowhere did it read that this functionality wouldn't exist! I vaguely undersand this, if it would be clear, that to get this functionality I would need to buy a 70D. But 750D did fit my needs better and I couldn't have even imagined that canon would do something like just disabling a function! How does it help anyone?! And the whole marketing aspect behind "WiFi"... And if this is a matter of money...can we even pay to activate this function? Why not?

You guys are jumping to some silly conclusions. (The one about the Eye-Fi card is particularly absurd, IMO.) It's a good bet that you don't understand wi-fi nearly as well as you think you do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Kaldun wrote:

You guys are jumping to some silly conclusions. (The one about the Eye-Fi card is particularly absurd, IMO.) It's a good bet that you don't understand wi-fi nearly as well as you think you do.

Not as far fetched as you think.  I'm an IT Sys Admin and have been in the industry for 15+ years.  I think I understand WiFi and it's capabilities pretty well.  Someone else earlier in the thread nailed it on the head when they said it felt like the ability to transfer to a PC via WiFi had been crippled.  I agree.  Look at what this camera IS capabale of with WiFi.  It can connect to an existing 802.11 SSID, and obtain an IP address from DHCP.  It can upload photos and videos directly to CIG, Facebook, Twitter, eMail, YouTube.  These are the things that take work and effort to achieve.  It can connect to your phone via the same WiFi SSID that your phone does (you don't have to create a custom ad-hoc SSID to achieve this), and trasnfer photos back and forth.  You can connect to another camera the same way and transfer photos back and forth.  Again, this stuff takes effort.  The abililty to transfer photos to a PC on the same network, or even a UNC share on the network is easy compared to transfering photos to the internet.  In fact, one could argue that transfering to an UNC is a pre-req to transfering to HTTP.  And yet, trasnfer to PC/UNC is mysteriously absent from this camera.  Yeah, it was intentionally left out for one reason or another.  An Eye-Fi agreement is my best (and only) theory I can come up with why transfer to PC over WiFi would be intentially left off.  The camera is capable.  The tech is there.  But my bet is you will never see it enabled via FW update, unless the suspected Eye-Fi agreement expires.

Conspiracy theories are not actual facts.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think a better theory is that they (some jerk in Marketing) decided it would provide more tier differentiation for the more expensive options.

Announcements