cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jewellry Photography

margzxero
Contributor

Round-Engagement-Rings-with-Halo.jpg

How to achieve like this clarity in product photography.

1.jpg

this is my picture, f/11 and I used focus stacking for this one. but I cannot get the shine of the diamond. I also shot in RAW file

its for to focus stacking I cannot the live view because the flash is not compatible in my canon 750d.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@margzxero wrote:

help please. any more suggestion?

1. Adjust the white balance to get rid of the purple cast.

2. Turn up the contrast; the picture looks flat and dull.

3. Try to get at least some of the diamonds in focus; so far, they're less in focus than the plain metal parts.

4. Experiment with the lighting. What you have is quite diffuse, which is often correct for such photos. But if your objective is to put some sparkle into the diamonds, one of your flashes may have to be more direct.

If you don't get those aspects of the picture right, stacking may not help you much.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You can use Live View for manual focusing, and then turn it off to take the shot.  You might consider focusing rails, if you want to have really accurate focus stacking.  I used the cheapest ones on the market, Dot Line, to make this shot.

IMG_7598.jpg

I think your biggest issue seems to be achieving good White Balance compensation.  Try taking a shot of a grey card, to use a reference.  I think your comparison shot is not a good example to use, simply because of the higher number of rocks, and how they have been cut, compared to the rocks in your shot.

I had White Balance issues of my own in my photograph of the dime.  I had completely ignored WB.  It was totally forgotten.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

margzxero
Contributor
The detail/clarity of the diamond is not really showing, I am just using a kit lense

@margzxero wrote:
The detail/clarity of the diamond is not really showing, I am just using a kit lense

The EF-S 18-55mm STM kit lens is not a bad lens.  If you want to do serious macro photography, then buy a real macro lens.  Canon has the EF-S 60mm Macro on sale at the online Refurbished Store this weekend.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-60mm-f-28-macro-usm-refurbished

Or you could invest in one of the EF 100mm macro lenses.  The only time I use my macro lens in auto mode is when it is hand held.  The focus plane of a macro lens tends to be flatter than that of a conventional lens.

Using Live View and manual focusing is the best method when using a tripod.  Because the DOF can be so shallow, you want to take complete control of exactly where the focus point lies.  This last is crucial when you want to stack photos.  I have found stacking the focus from bottom to the top works better than top to the bottom in Adobe Photoshop, but it could be my imagination, though. 

Use shutter lockup.  Use a remote shutter switch, or the 10 second delay timer.  Using a very sturdy tripod and head makes a big difference.  The bigger a head start you can give the stacking software, then the better the final result.

The type and sources of your light can make a big difference, too.  Correcting your White Balance is the least expensive improvement that you need to make.  I'm no jewelry photography, not by any means.  These are just some of the basics of macro photography.  The best techniques to use vary with the size of the subject. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

margzxero
Contributor

@margzxero wrote:

[link removed per forum guidelines]

@margzxero wrote:

1. Adjust the white balance to get rid of the purple cast.

2. Turn up the contrast; the picture looks flat and dull.

3. Try to get at least some of the diamonds in focus; so far, they're less in focus than the plain metal parts.

4. Experiment with the lighting. What you have is quite diffuse, which is often correct for such photos. But if your objective is to put some sparkle into the diamonds, one of your flashes may have to be more direct.

If you don't get those aspects of the picture right, stacking may not help you much.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements