cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jagged edges on EOS 700D

michal
Contributor

Hi!

The link below shows a photo that I took with my EOS 700D. The contrasty edge between building and sky is innaturally jagged - this happens often, particularly when a sharp edge is nearly orthogonal. I guess that's caused by antialiasing filter. Is there any way to fight it? (I'm not going to scratch off filter from the sensor with a screwdriver, like some people) Is it maybe common to amateur DSLRs? Can you tell if you've ever noticed similar artifacts on your photos?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...HBmdEpmcUU3THc

12 REPLIES 12

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

It's hard to tell from the screen shot you linked to, but if you are viewing the image at 200% or 400% or higher magnification it will be unavoidable. How does the image look at 100% magnification?

Was the picture shot in RAW? And if so, does the RAW file show the artifacts? If it doesn't, I'd look into whether the JPEG resolution is too low.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The artifact is present both in exported JPEG and RAW edited in Lightroom. I used maximum resolution, quality, JPEG+RAW.

Here's the entire image:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9utzAWOfnVDdmM4WUNuSW5HMlU

Interesting thing - it looks worse on right side than left.

Bryston3bsst
Enthusiast

I guess I have a hard time understanding why anyone would expand an image to this point to look for problems that don't exist. Blow any image from any camera to ridiculously high magnification like this and, amazingly, you're going to find anomalies. You magnify an image to correct a problem, not to look for one.

There is nothing wrong with your image as presented and viewed as it was shot and displayed in your last example. That's how you view pictures, as a whole image. Not at a high magnification and then go fretting that there is something wrong with your camera because you can see digital anomalies. If you presented this scenario to Canon I'm fairly certain I know what their response would be.

But, if this kind of thing is what makes you happy, enjoy your frustration.

Personally, I would rather go shoot and enjoy the results as they are intended to be enjoyed.

Can you list the exif data for this shot?

EXIF:

Camera: Canon EOS 700D (APS-C sensor)

Aperture: 3.5

Exposure time: 1/500

ISO 100

Focal lenght: 18 mm

Resolution: 5053x3369px

Bryston, you look like more frustrated than me. I'm not creating problems - what would I do it for?

Imagine: when you get to the point of PRINTING large-sized images for professional purposes, this is a problem. I now my camera is not a professional model but no one other I've ever seen created such strange effects.

Post an example image, not an enlargement or screenshot of an enlargement. We can enlarge it ourselves. Since you cannot post a full image since it is too large, *crop* a quarter of it or so, do not resize.

Shooting with the 18 55mm kit lens at maximum aperture and the widest end,  softness and distortion are expected. Try stepping down to F8 and see if the quality of the image improve or not.

700D and a basic kit lens may not be good enough for professional purposes.

Announcements