Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Issues with External Mic on T3i

Hey guys,

I have a Canon Rebel T3i and a HTDZ unidirectional condenser mic (HT-81). When I plug my external mic into the mic jac, the mic doesn't capture the audio, the camera still does it. Even though the external mic is plugged in, the camera mic is capturing the audio. The camera says "microphone connected" yet it doesn't use the mic for the audio. I put in a new battery on the mic and it's turned on for sure. What could be wrong?
Product Expert

Re: Issues with External Mic on T3i

Hi Mckalez,

When the T3i detects that a self-powered external microphone is connected, it should automatically switch over and disable the internal microphone.

Since this does not seem to be occurring I recommend resetting the camera's setting to default to see how it responds. The settings can be reset by following the instructions on page 176 of the camera's manual HERE.

For further assistance with this I recommend contacting our Technical Support team HERE.