cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this auto focuse acting up?

2ndbase
Apprentice

I am having a video recording issue with my Canon Rebel T5i while video recording. I’ve used two different lenses and both seem to do this. It happens at the start at 0:01, 0:06, 0:14, 0:21, 0:24, etc...

I am not sure how to describe it. Is it auto focus or auto zoom?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5dLF4rxzc&t=5s&index=3&list=UUKUjJB4adFPxZgpsMaRyLQw

I’ve looked around the forums a bit. Tried switching off AF. I used portrait mode but also saw it in landscape mode. 

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I did not look at the videos, but since only one lens and only one or two canon cameras auto-zoom and you need an external attachment to do it, it must be auto-focus.

What two lenses?

John_
Authority

Looks to me that the zoom on the lens was "hunting", the focus remained the same.

John_
Authority

If you have Movie AF Servo enabled try turning it off

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@2ndbase wrote:

I am having a video recording issue with my Canon Rebel T5i while video recording. I’ve used two different lenses and both seem to do this. It happens at the start at 0:01, 0:06, 0:14, 0:21, 0:24, etc...

I am not sure how to describe it. Is it auto focus or auto zoom?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5dLF4rxzc&t=5s&index=3&list=UUKUjJB4adFPxZgpsMaRyLQw

I’ve looked around the forums a bit. Tried switching off AF. I used portrait mode but also saw it in landscape mode. 

I do not believe that your camera can perform tracking AF in movie mode.  You must manually select focus points.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I only mentioned Movie Servo AF because the movie he posted shows signs of what is listed in the last bullet on this notice from the T5i manual. The image changes size momentarily now and then but it is just a thought

Capture.JPG

Thank you. I am going to give this a try and will post my observation. The description in the manual does seem similar. I use a tripod so there should be no camera movement. 

Announcements