cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any possible way to use my EOS Rebel XT for EOS Utility?

FantasticMrFox
Apprentice

Okay, so i want to use EOS Utility on my Digital Rebel XT camera. In case you are wondering EOS Utility is used to take a picture with the camera by just clicking a button on the computer. Its used to make it so that any pictures i take arent shaky. Anyway, there is no link for the camera and when i go to the cameras homepage, and go to softwares, There is no download link for EOS Utility for my camera. Is there any way I can still use it on my Digital Rebel XT Camera? Let me know thanks 🙂

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
As best as I can see the answer is no, you can't use EU for tethering. There is no compatible version.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@FantasticMrFox wrote:

Okay, so i want to use EOS Utility on my Digital Rebel XT camera. In case you are wondering EOS Utility is used to take a picture with the camera by just clicking a button on the computer. Its used to make it so that any pictures i take arent shaky. Anyway, there is no link for the camera and when i go to the cameras homepage, and go to softwares, There is no download link for EOS Utility for my camera. Is there any way I can still use it on my Digital Rebel XT Camera? Let me know thanks 🙂

If all you are looking for is a remote shutter release. You have two options, you can use an IR Remote, or a cable remote.

You can find cable remotes with built-in intravolt timers in addition to a simple shutter release for very reasonable prices.

@TTMartin wrote:

@FantasticMrFox wrote:

If all you are looking for is a remote shutter release. You have two options, you can use an IR Remote, or a cable remote.

You can find cable remotes with built-in intravolt timers in addition to a simple shutter release for very reasonable prices.

Does the XT have an IR receiver? My XTi does, but not all the early DSLRs did. And the IR receiver, if there is one, will be on the front of the camera, so the IR trigger is most useful for including yourself in the picture. You might or might not get enough reflection off the subject to use it from behind the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

14 REPLIES 14

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

You can use a Compact Flash (CF) Card reader to transfer the files onto your computer. You simply eject the card and insert it into the reader. You can then use the Canon Image Browser to transfer the files to your computer, or you can just manually copy them to your folder of choice. You can get a good CF Card Reader for around $15. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I sent you a private message. I am assuming you want to use EU to operate shutter without touching camera, not download photos.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I sent you a private message. I am assuming you want to use EU to operate shutter without touching camera, not download photos.

Unfortunately the OP edited his post after my reply. The initial post simply asked if there was a way to keep using the Rebel XT. Guess that's what I get for not quoting it in my reply.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The XT is geting on in years.  I don't know for sure but Lightroom has tethered shooting for most cameras, I don't have a XT to try for you.

There are shareware that do tethered shooting.  One is Smart Shooter.  Again I don't know if it goes back to the XT or not.  You might give it a go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
As best as I can see the answer is no, you can't use EU for tethering. There is no compatible version.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@FantasticMrFox wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@FantasticMrFox wrote:

Does the XT have an IR receiver? My XTi does, but not all the early DSLRs did. And the IR receiver, if there is one, will be on the front of the camera, so the IR trigger is most useful for including yourself in the picture. You might or might not get enough reflection off the subject to use it from behind the camera.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Yes, it has a reciever for an IR remote.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digita...

You can also simply reach around the front of the camera and use the IR remote. Still a lot easier than setting up a computer and using EOS Utility.

@TTMartin wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Yes, it has a reciever for an IR remote.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digita...

You can also simply reach around the front of the camera and use the IR remote. Still a lot easier than setting up a computer and using EOS Utility.

Yeah, I guess. But that action could distract your subject, and you risk jostling the camera or casting a shadow in the flash. I'd be inclined to avoid it.

Bob
Announcements