cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any possible way to use my EOS Rebel XT for EOS Utility?

FantasticMrFox
Apprentice

Okay, so i want to use EOS Utility on my Digital Rebel XT camera. In case you are wondering EOS Utility is used to take a picture with the camera by just clicking a button on the computer. Its used to make it so that any pictures i take arent shaky. Anyway, there is no link for the camera and when i go to the cameras homepage, and go to softwares, There is no download link for EOS Utility for my camera. Is there any way I can still use it on my Digital Rebel XT Camera? Let me know thanks 🙂

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
As best as I can see the answer is no, you can't use EU for tethering. There is no compatible version.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@FantasticMrFox wrote:

Okay, so i want to use EOS Utility on my Digital Rebel XT camera. In case you are wondering EOS Utility is used to take a picture with the camera by just clicking a button on the computer. Its used to make it so that any pictures i take arent shaky. Anyway, there is no link for the camera and when i go to the cameras homepage, and go to softwares, There is no download link for EOS Utility for my camera. Is there any way I can still use it on my Digital Rebel XT Camera? Let me know thanks 🙂

If all you are looking for is a remote shutter release. You have two options, you can use an IR Remote, or a cable remote.

You can find cable remotes with built-in intravolt timers in addition to a simple shutter release for very reasonable prices.

@TTMartin wrote:

@FantasticMrFox wrote:

If all you are looking for is a remote shutter release. You have two options, you can use an IR Remote, or a cable remote.

You can find cable remotes with built-in intravolt timers in addition to a simple shutter release for very reasonable prices.

Does the XT have an IR receiver? My XTi does, but not all the early DSLRs did. And the IR receiver, if there is one, will be on the front of the camera, so the IR trigger is most useful for including yourself in the picture. You might or might not get enough reflection off the subject to use it from behind the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

14 REPLIES 14

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Does the XT have an IR receiver? My XTi does, but not all the early DSLRs did. And the IR receiver, if there is one, will be on the front of the camera, so the IR trigger is most useful for including yourself in the picture. You might or might not get enough reflection off the subject to use it from behind the camera.

Yes, it has a reciever for an IR remote.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digita...

You can also simply reach around the front of the camera and use the IR remote. Still a lot easier than setting up a computer and using EOS Utility.

Yeah, I guess. But that action could distract your subject, and you risk jostling the camera or casting a shadow in the flash. I'd be inclined to avoid it.

Have you used an IR remote much? You make it sound like it has to be right in front of the receiver to work.

@TTMartin wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Yes, it has a reciever for an IR remote.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digita...

You can also simply reach around the front of the camera and use the IR remote. Still a lot easier than setting up a computer and using EOS Utility.

Yeah, I guess. But that action could distract your subject, and you risk jostling the camera or casting a shadow in the flash. I'd be inclined to avoid it.

Have you used an IR remote much?

A few times. Mostly when I was in the picture, but I think also once or twice helping my wife get some night shots.

You make it sound like it has to be right in front of the receiver to work.

Well, I was responding to your suggesting that one could reach around to the front of the camera. If you do that, some part of your body is going to be pretty close to the camera, I would think. Or you may interfere with the flash. It just seems clumsier than a cable release.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

amfoto1
Authority

@FantasticMrFox wrote:

Other responses have gone off to explain some other solutions before answering your question.

The simple answer is "NO". You cannot use your camera tethered to a computer, controlling it via EOS Utilities software (or Lightroom, for that matter).

In order to do that, the camera must have the Live View feature. Your XT (aka 350D, from 2005) doesn't have Live View.

There was a version of LV on the EOS 20Da (2005), a more complete implementation of it on the 40D (2007), and among the Rebel-series models the XSi and XS were the first to get LV (aka 450D & 1000D, both introduced in 2008).

Other responses are on some right tracks, though.

If your primary purpose is to help prevent camera shake, there are several other things you can do, which you may or may not be aware of...

- Set a faster shutter speed. Of course, to do so may require a larger lens aperture and/or a higher ISO.  

- Get and use a lens with IS (Image Stabilization).

- Use flash, it freezes both subject movement and camera shake, approx. like 1/720 shutter speed would, with most flashes.

- Use a tripod along with:

- - a remote release (RS-60E3 wired or RC-6 wireless)

- - or just use the camera's self-timer delay 

- - and/or use mirror lockup (Custom Function 7)

Tripod quality has a great deal of effect. Some are so flimsy as to be hardly worth using. For example, the most stable tripods do not use a center column or, if it has one, the tripod is tall enough to be used without raising the center column much or at all. Materials make a differentce, too... for example carbon fiber is much better absorbing fine vibration than metal. There are a number of other factors that go into making a tripod stable. Do some additional research, if interested.

Note: RC-6 wireless release uses infra red and the sensor for it is on the front of the camera. This is certainly useful for self portraits, but may be problematic using this remote for other types of photos.

In addition to the Canon RS-60E3 wired remote release, there are other brand remote switches including some that have additional features such as delay timers, interval timers (time lapse), etc.  AFAIK, Canon does not make a timer/controller with E3 connectivity (like the TC-80N3, which will not connect with your camera)

Note: The XT's self-timer delay is 10 seconds only. However, when used in conjunction with the mirror lockup feature, it's automatically shortened to a 2 second delay.

Note: While IS lenses can make possible handholding lenses at shutter speeds 2, 3 or somtimes even 4 stops slower than you'd normally be able to use... the effectiveness of IS varies a bit from lens to lens and good handholding technique are still needed to get the best out of it.

Some IS lenses require IS to be manually turned off when locked down on a tripod. The IS in those lenses can go into sort of a feedback loop where it's actually causing, rather than preventing movement. Don't worry too much about it, though... if it happens you'll see it in the viewfinder and then can turn off the IS. (No harm done to either the camera or the lens.)

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Alan Myers said, "In addition to the Canon RS-60E3 wired remote release, there are other brand remote switches including some that have additional features such as delay timers, interval timers (time lapse), etc. AFAIK, Canon does not make a timer/controller with E3 connectivity (like the TC-80N3, which will not connect with your camera)."

There is a Chinese workalike/lookalike of the Canon TC-80N3 that will do all of that, and will work with the Canon Rebel XT 350D. The Aputure (correct spelling) AP-TR1C works and looks just like the Canon TC-80N3 remote control, except that the AP-TR1C's plug fits into the smaller remote-control jacks found on the earlier Rebel EOS series cameras. (The TC-80N3 has Canon's proprietary N3 plug. As Alan points out, it won't fit a Rebel XT 350D.) I own a Canon Rebel XT 350D and the Aputure AP-TR1C, and can attest that the setup works. I saw the item on amazon.com today for $36 -- significantly less than the retail price of a TC-80N3 (which wouldn't work with a Rebel XT 350D anyway).

CaseyGuy

CaseyGuy
Apprentice
As a fellow owner of a Canon Rebel XT 350D, I've had to work through this myself. I can confidently report -- through actual experience -- that you CAN use EOS Utility with your Canon Rebel XT 350D, as long as 1) your computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows XP or Vista, and 2) you're using EOS Utility v2.7.3 or earlier. The issue is two-fold: 1) The newer versions of EOS Utility don't work with our 350D's; and 2) Canon has consciously decided not to support Rebel XT 350D owners with an EOS Utility that will run on any Windows OS after XP. That's what we get for being early supporters of the Rebel line; we climbed aboard too soon, I guess. When I did my initial search, I couldn't understand why the Canon Drivers & Software support page showed no EOS Utility available for my 350D. Then I did a later search from an old computer running on Windows XP, and was quite surprised to see older versions EOS Utility available for my 350D. It turns out that, because the Canon webpage detected that I was running Windows 7 64-bit when I did my initial search, no EOS Utility appeared in the search results. So, if you can use a computer with the 32-bit Vista or XP OS, you want v2.7.3 of EOS Utility. The software is available at http://consumer.usa.canon.com/nw3s/CanonUSA/DownloadContents/English/0200096204EN.htm, and the manual (describing v2.4) is available at http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDMwMDAwMTEwMzAx&cmp=ABR〈=EN.
Announcements