cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to use an off camera flash or remote flashes on a Rebel T5? (This is not a T5I)

edwinroad
Apprentice

I have a Rebel T5 I just bought a few months ago. I like it as it is a great entry into DSLR. I will be looking at upgrading in a few months. But in the meantime, I just bought a speedlight kit (not Canon) and it came with 2 speedlights and the remote trigger and 2 remote receivers. Is there a way to enable the camera to use off camera flash? i was able to put one of the flashes on as an extrenal flash but I have not been able to figure out how to enable off camera flash.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Skirball
Authority

I have no idea what kit you bought, but it should have come with a trigger that goes in the hotshoe of your camera.  When you take a photo it sends a signal to the receiver, which tells the flash(es) to fire.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

I have no idea what kit you bought, but it should have come with a trigger that goes in the hotshoe of your camera.  When you take a photo it sends a signal to the receiver, which tells the flash(es) to fire.

Thank you Skirball. It did come with a trigger. I must not have had the correct settings. When I first got the set, I put the trigger on the camera and hooked the lights to the receivers and it did not work for me. I thought I needed a special setting. But I must have had the receivers set to camera instead of flash. Once I put it on today, it worked and triggered both flash units. Incase anyone else has this issue, the kit I bought from Amazon is the Altura 2 flash kit that came with 2 speedlghts, the trigger and 2 receivers. I paid $169 for it. But when I hooked them up today and had the receivers set to Flash, they both were triggered when I pressed the shutter button.

Thank you again.

Sometimes it can be tricky to get the right settings.  Hopefully you figure out what was wrong so you avoid the problem again.

I've never heard of that kit, but if it works, and continues to work, that's a great deal for a 2 flash eTTL off-camera setup.

Announcements