cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a update driver for my canon eos rebel digital 300d camera? I can't download any pictures .

lg2354
Apprentice
Digital 300d
10 REPLIES 10

nedkelly
Contributor

Which OS?

And normally cameras just use the standard USB mass storage driver with Windows computers, but it may be that the camera is too old for your current computer so you would need to look at a USB card reader.

I had this problem when we got a new computer, we had to get a card reader. 

I'm running Windows XP - outdated, I know, but up until three months ago I had been downloading my photos with almost no problems. I'm not sure what has changed. Very frustrating. I saw recommendations to get a USB card reader. I have one, but the card in my camera is bigger than the card reader. I may have this in the wrong thread. I see we this thread is referring to a 300d, mine is an EOS Rebel XT. Sigh.

Thank you,

MrsBerry

@MrsBerry wrote:

I'm running Windows XP - outdated, I know, but up until three months ago I had been downloading my photos with almost no problems. I'm not sure what has changed. Very frustrating. I saw recommendations to get a USB card reader. I have one, but the card in my camera is bigger than the card reader. I may have this in the wrong thread. I see we this thread is referring to a 300d, mine is an EOS Rebel XT. Sigh.

Thank you,

MrsBerry

MrsBerry: By the sounds of it you have an SD card reader when you need a CF card reader.

lg2354
Apprentice
My eos works just fine with xp but my new pc has windows 8 and the card in my rebel eos won't fit a card reader.how ever canon emailed and told me how to go into the menu of my camera and change the setting on the camera to get the windows 8 to detect the camera so I have yet to change the setting to see if it will work.for now I just down load my pics to xp and put them on a thumb drive and then transfer them to my new pc

@lg2354 wrote:
My eos works just fine with xp but my new pc has windows 8 and the card in my rebel eos won't fit a card reader.how ever canon emailed and told me how to go into the menu of my camera and change the setting on the camera to get the windows 8 to detect the camera so I have yet to change the setting to see if it will work.for now I just down load my pics to xp and put them on a thumb drive and then transfer them to my new pc

That would be the issue, microsoft changed things between xp and 7 and then 8 which stopped some older cameras from working.

You probably have a SD card reader while you need a CF card reader.

But as Canon would have told you change the communication mode to PTP and that will allow you to transfer the images over but will not allow use of the Canon software due to changes by Microsoft.

Newbie talking.  Inherited  a Rebel 300 D and was happy to find an ancient universal card reader one of whose large slots was a mystery to me - until the Rebel. Without the aid of software my Mac read the CF card perfectly. Without realizing that this camera does not allow use of a USB cable, l found one with the proper configuration in my Panasonic D-300 gadget bag.

It worked perfectly for my first series of landscapes but my joy was shortlived when a second attempt failed.  Since then l am using the old card reader, anno 2003, with success and permanently tethered to the Mac. There are a number of CDs in the package l have not attempted to install on the Mac and this camera amazes me with the quality of the wide and telephoto lenses.

Have not used the Rebel on my Win 7 machine and ordered a wireless remote for bird and wilderness shooting.

Thank you for this forum,

birdy 176

The proper card reader should work for everybody here.  They are inexpensive and availble for both Win and Mac.

There are no drivers provided by Canon as none are needed.  This is left up to the OS and of couse if they stop supporting any device it may stop working. 

But a card reader will work and the way to go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs 1,

Thank you for your kind response. I have the reader but never had to use it with any of my other digital cameras which came with cables attached to proprietary mini plugs. I was hoping to prevent wear and tear on the little door and the push button that ejects the CF card.

Announcements