cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Canon EOS Rebel XSi too old for new lenses?

AmyM77
Apprentice

I'm just a mom who enjoys taking photos of her kid's sports.  My Rebel Xsi (old, I know) and the 18-55mm/75-300mm lenses it came with do pretty good outdoors with baseball/slower action, but I have a hard time indoors with basketball.  I've taken a class, read tons on the web, and I'm still just overwhelmed.  I've thought maybe I need a different lense for the low-light gyms, but not sure if my Rebel is too old to even find compatible lenses?  I was looking at the CanonEF 135mm f/2L whch I though might be a good choice, but on the Canon site I think it said it's not compatible with my old camera.  Any help/advice is appreciated....

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Any EF or EF-S lens should work fine, but a newer body will have better noise performance so you can use higher ISO's which means faster shutter speed.

I agree with kvbarkley on both counts. 

The 135 f/2L is an outstanding lens. Sharp and fast. But it is a $1000 lens. 

My recommendation would be to get the new Rebel T8i for $750. It will outperform your current body in every aspect. 

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T8i-vs-Canon-EOS-450D

Another option would be to go to $800 and get the kit with the 18-55 lens. The current version of that lens is better optically than your lens and has image stabilization. I don't think your lens has that. You could go a little higher than the price of the 135L and add the 55-250 zoom, which would be a quality upgrade over your 75-300. 

When I had my T5i I used the 55-250 and could print cropped images at 13x19 with very good results. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Started this post and had to walk away to make dinner.  The guys have provided excellent advice...  

I know your camera has served you well and continues to do so.  Its 14+ years old now.

Its Digic3 processor is antiquated by today's performance and standards.  At 12.3MP its capable of producing decent 5x7 and 8x10 prints, but is not as capable of producing the level of detail and clarity you may want.  Especially true in indoor. low light situations where using a flash isn't practical.  

Will a faster lens help, yes to some degree.  The lens you are considering (135mm) is a full frame lens and will provide a 216mm equivalent focal length on an APS-C body.  This is a fixed prime without zoom capability so it might have some composition challenges requiring  that you move closer or farther from the subject to achieve desired composition.  You may not have this flexibility if seated or if you are on the other side of the pool, etc. If outside, the other side of the field.  This is where a zoom will shine for you.   

A faster F2 lens will give you more light gathering capability and a greater degree to control depth of field, but locking yourself in at 216mm might prove frustrating attempting to capture subjects at varied distances.  The 135 is not inexpensive and is primarily intended for portraiture.

Since you were considering a $1K lens..  does that mean this is your budget?  I was thinking the same as the others.... a better investment might be a newer body....  And maybe another lens of you can swing it.

Canon and B&H will have some outstanding sales for the new year.  Check out the refurb store as well.  Same 1yr warranty and lots of great deals (good value).  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

AmyM77,

I only agree to a point with the other guys here. Buying a new Rebel T8i is a good idea. There is no place where it will not make your shooting better.  Everything will be better and not just a little but a lot better. 14 years in electronics is forever.

The issue then becomes the lens. Why buy what you have already?  Just because it is newer? Yeah, OK it is and it is better IQ wise but it is not faster.  This means you are depending solely on the camera to make up for that deficiency. And, you said and correctly pointed out you want a faster lens, I.E. the Canon EF 135mm f/2L.

So, the better option would be the T8i and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Yes, a bit more expensive than the cost of a EF 135mm f/2L alone but way far more usable.  A prime lens like the EF 135mm f/2L is a pretty specialized lens.  Meaning it does one thing well and won't do other things at all or with difficulty.

"...I have a hard time indoors with basketball."

Don't we all? Smiley Happy  Depending on where you shoot from the combo I suggested will do a fine job with basketball. Obiviously shooting  from the bleachers won't give the best photos. But if you are allowed on the floor it will shine. As for baseball, neither it nor the EF 135mm f/2L would be a good choice. One of the 70-200mm zooms wil do nicely here.

Check out the Rebel T8i and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. Also, kido, you need to post edit. If you don't post edit you will never get those super great shots.  You get a very good editor free form Canon called DPP4.  It can do simple edits like exposure correction or some complex edits if you dive in further.  Easy or complex as you desire.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

AmyM77
Apprentice
Thank you, I was thinking I may need a whole new camera but didn’t know for sure. Budget is probably under $1500. On another site, the Canon 7D or 7D Mark II was recommended. Thoughts?

@AmyM77 wrote:
Thank you, I was thinking I may need a whole new camera but didn’t know for sure. Budget is probably under $1500. On another site, the Canon 7D or 7D Mark II was recommended. Thoughts?

The 7D2 is a great camera for action photography, can probably do a better job than the T8i in most scenarios.  I think the T8i could probably outperform the older 7D in most action shooting scenarios.  Either camera can use both EF and EF-S mount lenses.  

However, both are older models.  I do not believe the 7D is still serviced by Canon USA, and the 7D2 may be approaching that same cutoff due to its' age.  The most common cause for support being discontinued is availability of spare electronic parts.  Eventually, they are no longer manufactured.  Companies begin producing newer designs.

The T8i is the latest release from Canon, which will likely be supported for several years to come.  Given the choice between the T8i and the 7D2, I would go for the 7D2 all day long.  It is not the greatest low light performer, but a fast lens can more than make up for that.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

AmyM77,

"Given the choice between the T8i and the 7D2, I would go for the 7D2 all day long."

I have a tendency to go with this idea. I am a big 7 series fan.  I owned two 7D's in the past. But, I want to make a few things known first. The 7 series cameras have one thing that no Rebel has and that is far better build. It is all metal and the T8i is plastic. The 7D Mki II will take a lot of abuse.  However, again no free lunch. It will be heavier and adding a faster lens will also add weight.  To me that is no biggie but to you it might be. Secondly, you stated a budget of $1500. The 7D Mk II is nearly that price without a lens. Add the recommended Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USMl lens and your budget is shattered (around $2100).  If you say those are not a problem, I am all in for a 7D Mk II and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.

On the other hand, the T8i and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens hits right on the $1500 mark.  It is lighter as an added bonus but perhaps most important is the T8i is newer tech so it will remain viable longer.

I am going to stick to my guns on this one.  The Rebel T8i and Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. Adding, as the  budget allows, one of the 70-200mm zooms will complete and make a killer combo. This is about all the average Mom can do or buy (without spending a wheelbarrow full of money) to get the results you desire.  Remember you only get one shot at this because most of these days and memories won't come again.

Lastly do take up post editing.  It will change your pictures, memories, more than any other single thing you can do short of hiring a Sports Illistrated photographer or perhaps me!  Smiley Wink

Moms rule, go get'em!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

AmyM77,

"Given the choice between the T8i and the 7D2, I would go for the 7D2 all day long."

I have a tendency to go with this idea. I am a big 7 series fan.  I owned two 7D's in the past. But, I want to make a few things known first. The 7 series cameras have one thing that no Rebel has and that is far better build. It is all metal and the T8i is plastic. The 7D Mki II will take a lot of abuse.  However, again no free lunch. It will be heavier and adding a faster lens will also add weight.  To me that is no biggie but to you it might be. Secondly, you stated a budget of $1500. The 7D Mk II is nearly that price without a lens. Add the recommended Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USMl lens and your budget is shattered (around $2100).  If you say those are not a problem, I am all in for a 7D Mk II and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.

On the other hand, the T8i and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens hits right on the $1500 mark.  It is lighter as an added bonus but perhaps most important is the T8i is newer tech so it will remain viable longer.

I am going to stick to my guns on this one.  The Rebel T8i and Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. Adding, as the  budget allows, one of the 70-200mm zooms will complete and make a killer combo. This is about all the average Mom can do or buy (without spending a wheelbarrow full of money) to get the results you desire.  Remember you only get one shot at this because most of these days and memories won't come again.

Lastly do take up post editing.  It will change your pictures, memories, more than any other single thing you can do short of hiring a Sports Illistrated photographer or perhaps me!  Smiley Wink

Moms rule, go get'em!

I came away with the impression that the 7D2 was used.  I don't think they're available brand new, anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements