cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interval shooting on Canon EOS Rebel SL-1?

am16
Apprentice

Are Canon EOS Rebel SL-1's capable of interval shooting without an intervelometer?

I'm a Pentax-user and needed a second camera for interval shooting. I rented a SL-1 after being told it's capable of interval shooting, but I can't for the life of me find the appropriate settings, nor can I find any info online that doesn't include an intervelometer. Am I mistaken in assuming that this model is not capable of interval shooting, at least without an intervelometer? 

I apologize for such a a basic question. I was able to navigate to coninuous shooting and self-timed shooting, but there doesn't seem to be an option for interval shooting like on my Pentax K-3. I just want to ensure I'm not being dense (i.e. not using the right settings) before taking the camera back.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

AFAIK, the SL-1 does not include interval shooting.  It is one of the most basic entry level DSLR models.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You can always get a TC80N and the special adapter cable.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This varies by camera.  My 5D IV has a built-in interval timer.  My 5D III does not (I own the Canon TC-80N3 wired remote shutter release with interval-timer).  

If you need the capabiltiy built into the camera we can probably help you identify a model that has it "built in" (for example, for "photos" the 77D has it built-in... the T7i does not have it built-in -- but both have it for "video" - aka "time lapse movie")

But it is also easy to just use an external wired release that has a built-in interval timer.  Canon does not make one specifically for the Rebel series bodies... they only make it for the pro bodies (it's the TC-80N3) and they make an adapter that lets you use the TC-80N3 with the mid-series and entry series bodies.  The only difference is the plug on the end of the camera.)

You can also pick up a 3rd party release with interval timer and they aren't very expensive.  The important bit is that you get one with the correct connector for the camera you are using.  A few are generic and you can buy the optional plugs to connect it to just about any camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements