Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

In-camera distortion correction

Hi!

Is it possible with canon itself or canon with magic lantern, to correct lens distortion in-camera, with no lightroom, no photoshop etc.? Yes, I am asking about distortion, not aberrations or vignetting.

Highlighted
VIP

Re: In-camera distortion correction

I know this isn't going to answer your question but I wouldn't want it in camera. Besides, I don't think Raw would support it anyway and I always shoot Raw.  You should too and that means post editing like LR or PS.  If you are concerned with lens correction you obviously want the best pictures you can get.  Post editing is where its at.

I don't use ML and I don't recommend anybody else use it.  Neither does Canon USA.  JMHO as always but, perhaps the industry standard spokesman will chime in.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

All new cameras, including my T6S, have this as an included feature.

I assume that you mean "chromatic" aberration.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

And, as I said:

"All new cameras, including my T6S, have this as an included feature."

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can you please tell me, how canon calls this feature? Is it somewhere in the menu next to "chromatic aberration" and "peripheral illumination" correction?

My EOS 700D (or Rebel T5i, whatever) doesn't have such feature. I think they didn't change a lot in T6.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Why didn't you ask in the first place? Your T5i does not have this feature, my T6S does. If you had it it would be in the same place in the manual as the T5i. Here is the manual page for my T6S (Note they did not even change the heading on the page!):

Untitled.jpg

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why do you talk to me as if I was a fool?

Anyways, thanks for enlightening me.

Ok, do you guys know if EOS 80D also have this feature?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Newer cameras provide for in-camera Digitial Lens Optimizer processing, but it is only applied to JPEG images. The tag is recorded in the RAW file, but only read by Canon DPP (since only DPP can download the data files from Canon website.)

https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/en/eos-5d-mark-iv-lens-aberration-correctiona-close-up-look-...

It also slows down burst shooting significantly since there is a lot of number crunching going on.

"Ok, do you guys know if EOS 80D also have this feature?"

You can go to the Canon website and see.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Michal,

Your fellow users are happy to help and answer questions, (so am I) but product research is to a certain extent on you.  Take a little ownership, dowload an 80D manual and look for the feature.  We've given you the tools, now use them. 

This is not ment to be harsh, but your question is like asking what the specs are of a particular model and then expecting someone else to look it up for you. 

Some of the best lens correction is provided in post processing software, LR, PhotoLab, Affinity, etc.  If you rely soley on in camera correction, you may be disappointed.

Welcome to the forums, hope to see more of you here. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100