cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In-camera distortion correction

michal
Contributor

Hi!

Is it possible with canon itself or canon with magic lantern, to correct lens distortion in-camera, with no lightroom, no photoshop etc.? Yes, I am asking about distortion, not aberrations or vignetting.

16 REPLIES 16

@shadowsports wrote:

Michal,

Your fellow users are happy to help and answer questions, (so am I) but product research is to a certain extent on you.  Take a little ownership, dowload an 80D manual and look for the feature.  We've given you the tools, now use them. 

This is not ment to be harsh, but your question is like asking what the specs are of a particular model and then expecting someone else to look it up for you. 

Some of the best lens correction is provided in post processing software, LR, PhotoLab, Affinity, etc.  If you rely soley on in camera correction, you may be disappointed.

Welcome to the forums, hope to see more of you here. 

I'm really glad I came across this thread before I purchased the Canon T7i. I only shoot jpeg. I have no interest at all in any computer software. That's a different indoor hobby. Since I'll be disappointed in Canon's jpegs, I'll go with another camera that I'm looking at which produces great jpegs. Thanks for the heads up!

Sorry, no offense meant. If you would have asked "Does the T5i offer distortion correction" you would have had your answer in the first reply. Remember, we are users just like you.

Right, sorry, I sometimes write things faster than I think.

Thank you for your answers, I just checked the 80D's manual and it also has distortion correction 😄

And I'm aware that post-processing with a proper program will be better.

"I just checked the 80D's manual and it also has distortion correction..."

It may not have data for all Canon lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@michal wrote:

Right, sorry, I sometimes write things faster than I think.

Thank you for your answers, I just checked the 80D's manual and it also has distortion correction 😄

And I'm aware that post-processing with a proper program will be better.

One crucial point that has not been pointed out is that in-camera lens distortion correction only applies to Canon lenses.  If you use any third party lenses, the camera can read the lens make and model number, which it writes out to EXIF data.  

But, the Canon camera will not apply lens correction of any kind to a third party lens.  Not even the free Canon DPP software will process third party lenses.  For third party lenses, you need third party software to perform lens correction.

One big disadvantage of performing in-camera distortion correction is you will forfeit any AF point data.  The image content is being re-arranged when distortion correction is applied.  The correction can cause the original content under the AF point to shift slightly, which means the AF point data may no longer apply.  

Last I checked, the Canon DPP software will not display AF point data for JPEG files with in-camera distortion correction applied.  However, other third party software applications just may display them, anyway,  This can be misleading, but AF points are larger than the little red boxes that you see in the viewfinder and AF point displays on a computer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Newer cameras provide for in-camera Digitial Lens Optimizer processing, but it is only applied to JPEG images. The tag is recorded in the RAW file, but only read by Canon DPP (since only DPP can download the data files from Canon website.)

https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/en/eos-5d-mark-iv-lens-aberration-correctiona-close-up-look-...

It also slows down burst shooting significantly since there is a lot of number crunching going on.

"Ok, do you guys know if EOS 80D also have this feature?"

You can go to the Canon website and see.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Any lenses not pre-installed can be added by the Lens Registration Tool or EOS Utility.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements