cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image moves in viewfinder

koolbreeze
Apprentice

Hello, all!

Got an SL1 a couple months ago. I've noticed that sometimes when I'm shooting and I'm composing a shot, I will press the shutter release half way for focus and exposure lock, and the image moves in the viewfinder, ostensibly to center the subject in the image! 

I have been learning the new camera and I shoot mostly professional images for catalog use and I don't always want the product perfectly centered. I have gone thru the menus and have perused the SL1 manual and can't find an answer on what's causing this and how to disable it.

I thought it might be a lens I use but the only swithches are Manual/ Auto Focus and Optical Stabilization. I only use Manual focus and never use OS when shooting professional work. 

A little help? TIA.

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

Sigma's OS causes that but say you have it turned off. I haven't noticed Canon's IS ever do it to the level Sigma lenses did.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

K, thx. I'll pay more attention when I shoot with the Sigma...

Which Sigma lens are you using?  The older models were pretty bad for doing this.  Turning off the OS will stop it.

It is pretty good advice to use and buy only Sigma "EX" or "Art" lenses.  They are pretty safe bets to work on Canon cameras.

I had an older model 150-500mm Sigma that would jump a hummingbird clear out of the frame!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's a Sigma DC 18-250 f3.5/6.3 Macro HSM that's about a year old. It is a clear sharp lens and it's a good one-size-fits-all type but I have some other issues with it such as zoom creep and I may contact Sigma about tightening it up.

Let's make one thing absolutely clear, all super zooms are compromises.The Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM is compact, has decent optics, has fast autofocus and decent OS, but, there is always a 'but', isn't there?  But it is a inexpensive lens.  It acts like an inexpensive lens.  All zooms tend to creep sooner or later.  I doubt Sigma can do much about it.  If they will do anything at all.

I would just learn its peculiar attributes and use it.  You might be able to put a fat rubber band around it to stop the creep.  That is what I do,  Smiley Happy as even Canon "L" zoom lenses creep.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

all super zooms are compromises

I know but it was good price and there are times when I don't want to carry a lot of stuff with me. Zoom creep, in this day and age of CAD/CAM which has produced lenses like this, shouldn't even exist. I usually just stick a piece of tape on it if I'm having an issue with creep. I like the rubber band idea, tho. Will give that a try too.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Which Sigma lens are you using?  The older models were pretty bad for doing this.  Turning off the OS will stop it.

It is pretty good advice to use and buy only Sigma "EX" or "Art" lenses.  They are pretty safe bets to work on Canon cameras.

I had an older model 150-500mm Sigma that would jump a hummingbird clear out of the frame!

Hmm.  I guess this explains why it seems like the OS can get into a tug-of-war with the AF to me at times.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements