cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas for someone who has weak arms

lynda1619
Contributor

Hi. I just received my canon rebel and I love it. My problem is that I have a form of muscular dystrophy and it is hard for me to hold the camera up and work the lens at the same time. Does anyone have any ideas about maybe a style of harness  that would hold the camera up so I can operate the lens and snap the pictures. Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ScottyP
Authority
Hi Lynda.

Two things come to mind.

1.). A monopod. These are just a lightweight collapsible pole you mount the camera onto. It bears the weight of the camera, but unlike a 3-legged tripod, it lets you turn the camera, pivot upwards and downwards etc. I use mine sitting in a chair or standing when shooting my kids soccer games because the camera gets heavy after a while, plus the monopod also steadies the camera well. These are not really expensive and are quite light, especially the carbon fiber ones.
2.). Tilt screen. If your camera has a tilt screen You could maybe let the camera hang in its strap and compose your shot looking down onto the folded out tilt screen. You would be shooting in live view so the camera would be focusing slowly but it would work.

Good luck.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You can also get a walking/hiking staff that has a tripod attachment so you get a double use item. Potential downside is that the hiking staff doesn't collapse as short as a true monopod.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Spoiler

Thank you.

Hi Lynda.

I was looking around for this, and here it is.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/416887.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_c...

This simple little belt pouch thingy will let you use the monopod without having to extend it all the way and place it on the ground. You rest the 'pod in the little resting pouch and you can walk around and shoot at eye level but the weight of the camera is not on your arms.

You can buy this from larger, more reliable-feeling sellers as Manfrotto is a major brand and everyone carries it. I picked this one because they included the picture of the thing in action instead of in the package.

Hope this helps!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

That's a great idea. I looked at reviews on Amazon. Some reported poor durability. A leather belt holder for a hammer might be more durable and less expensive.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I doubt that will help her either.  You still have to hold it up.

All these type add-ons add weight to the camera/lens.  The lady I was helping, who I believe has the same condition, could not even get that stuff into the field or photo shoot area.

The hiking harness takes all the weight off the person.  There is no weight on your sholders or arms or hands until you actually  want to compose and shoot.

A Rebel or SL1 with a prime, or several primes, is the way to go.  Or even better yet a G16 or G1x II.  Again, IMHO, as always.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

As always.
Scott

I hope she finds a way that works for her.  She certainly has several suggestions to think over.  Smiley Happy

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a $40 dollar version.

880364.jpg

Check B&H Photo or Adorama or perhaps a local camera store near you.  They will let you try one on if you have a shop near by.

EB

lynda1619
Contributor

Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions.  

Announcements